Meet your USB candidates

Back to Article
Back to Article

Meet your USB candidates

Vice President candidate, Cate O'Malley.

Photo: Lyndsi Winfield

Photo: Lyndsi Winfield

Photo: Lyndsi Winfield

By Lyndsi Winfield, Features Writer

Claire Berlon for President

Photo: Lyndsi Winfield

1. Why should you be USB President?

I believe that I should be USB president because I have been in many leadership positions that have given me the experience to be an effective leader. I have been nominated by my teammates as captain for both basketball and volleyball for the last three years. This gave me a lot of experience in working with peers and building teamwork skills. I have been nominated by my fellow class council members as a lead team member these last two years. This gave me the experience of planning events and communicating with other class council members. Both leadership roles have given me the experience that will be similar to being USB president.

1. What are the needed traits of a USB President?

The traits needed to be a USB president are that you should put your school and classmates first, they should be a good communicator/vocal, not afraid to talk to adults, energized and ready to serve the school and community, kind and considerate to everyone, have good time management skills, involved in many things, and love being a leader!

1. What are some ideas you have to do if you become USB President?

Some ideas I have if I become president are that I would love to do something with good morning Fairmont where I do something funny and engaging that gets people excited about Fairmont and certain events. I would also love to do something that gets more advisory’s involved in spirit week, maybe create a fun incentive like a breakfast or Bill’s Donuts. I would also love to do spotlight class council members/students/teachers to show class council appreciation to students and staff.

1. What makes you a Firebird?

What makes me a Firebird is that I have a deep passion and love for Fairmont High school. Sure, we have to go to school Monday through Friday for about 7 hours. This is mandatory for students. What makes me a Firebird is that I enjoy staying longer than those 7 hours. I go to Fairmont events, I am in clubs, and I play on two Kettering Fairmont sports teams. I am a true firebird because I love being at Fairmont high school and I love being apart of it.

1. If you could pick one of the candidates running against you to be president, who and why?

This is a really hard question for me, and I don’t think I can properly answer it. I love Timmy and Emma. They are both wonderful people who do wonderful things for our school and our community. Fairmont would be lucky to have one or the other as president.

1. What do you want to say to the people about to vote?

I would say that no matter what, being able to serve Fairmont is my number one priority. Getting the honor to hold this position would absolutely fill my heart. This is something I have always seen myself doing. When I was a freshman, I really looked up to the current president, Adam Duffy. The years after I still looked up to the Presidents. It would be so amazing if I could be the person that other students look up to.

Emma Kane for President

Photo: Lyndsi Winfield

1. Why should you be USB President?

I am running for USB President because I believe a strong leader should put the team before the individual. I’m not running for this position for the President title, but I want to unify the student body by celebrating everyone’s individual contributions to make Fairmont a better place.  

1. What traits are needed of a USB President?

I believe important traits needed to be on USB include listening to others ideas, being fair, relatable/approachable, understanding, encouraging and trustworthy. I believe that I possess all of these qualities and could use these strengths to make next year great!

Wouldn’t it be cool if together, Fairmont’s student body reached the $100,000 mark for Spirit Chain? I hope to be a part of this winning team!  However, my biggest goal is to make every student feel like they belong at Fairmont. I want everyone to feel as if they impact the culture in a positive way.

1. What makes you a Firebird?

What makes me a Firebird is being able to express my Fairmont pride in the ways I feel confident. I recognize that everyone shows their pride in different whether that means supporting Firebird athletics, competing on sports teams, participating in Career Technology competitions or by just wearing Fairmont apparel around the school and community!!

If I wasn’t selected as USB President, I know both candidates would do a fantastic job. However, I would want Claire Berlon to serve as President because we are very similar in personality. Claire and I share the same goals and leadership style.

The campaign has been challenging. I have learned a lot about myself and am thankful for the opportunity to run for USB. I believe it is important to be a team player and am looking forward to helping Fairmont in every way I can. Thank you to everyone who has supported me!

Cate O’Malley for Vice President

Photo: Lyndsi Winfield

1. Why do you think you should be USB VP?

I think I should be USB VP because I am passionate about Fairmont and am a leader inside and outside of the classroom. I have worked hard on Class Council to be able to run for a spot on USB and am excited that I have this opportunity.

1. What are the traits that a Vice President needs to be great?

A VP needs to have strong interpersonal skills who can be flexible and help others. A VP is a solid leader and is a role model to others. A VP Is kind to everyone ,but is also strong and knows their values.

1. What is one strength and one weakness you have for this role?

I get along well with everyone and good communication skills, but sometimes I have a hard time being punctual!

1. What makes you a Firebird?

I think everyone is a Firebird, but specifically I am a Firebird because I love Fairmont and love being involved.

I would tell everyone that their vote counts and they should definitely vote tomorrow in advisory! I would also tell them to vote specifically for Emma and Cate for pres and VP, because they are #ARecipeForSuccess!!

Nick Baker for Treasurer

Photo: Lyndsi Winfield

1. Why do you think you should be USB Treasurer?

I think I should be treasurer because I am expert in math and I just believe the position is the perfect fit for me. I enjoy calculating big numbers and calculations in general and I will have a great time in the role.

1. What are the traits that a treasurer needs to be great?

I think a great treasurer needs to be organized and be able to manage large amounts of money. I think also in general, any position on USB requires persistence and patience to complete their job.

1. What are some ideas you have if you become USB Treasurer?

Some ideas I have are to hold more fundraising events for Spirit Chain. I think things such as walkathons, fundraisers, a Food Truck day, a game night, or a massive car wash at Fairmont.

One strength I have is that I love all things math and would enjoy the work that comes with treasurer. One weakness I have for the role is that I can be disorganized sometimes, but I think it is something that I can work on.

1. What makes you a Firebird?

What makes me a Firebird is that I have great pride in being a student here at Fairmont. I exemplify our principles of safe, responsible, respectful, and kind here at Fairmont. I enjoy coming to school and making a positive impact here at Fairmont.

What I want to say to the people about to vote is that I have put a lot of work into trying to be on USB. I have put many hours into Class Council to demonstrate that I want to be a leader on USB here at Fairmont by going what was expected of me. I have had a great time campaigning and meeting with a lot of people this past week and I am looking forward to the results.

Alex Winkelman for Treasurer

(unphotographed)

I think I should be USB treasurer because over my 3 years of being on class council I have shown my dedication and drive to everything we do. I have big goals for USB next year and hope that by being elected I can help achieve them.

A treasurer should be organized, dedicated, patient, and have an overall good personality, which are four traits I believe I possess

If I become USB Treasurer one of my big goals is to raise $100,000 if not more for Spirit Chain. I think Spirit Chain is a great cause and with a few extra fundraisers, for example a Spirit Chain day, I think we could reach these goals

One strength I have is my dedication to everything I do. I always put 100% effort into every task I am presented with, so I can produce the best results. A weakness I have is time management. I often find myself cutting it close to deadlines, but I always get the work done in the end.

1. What makes you a Firebird?

What makes me a Firebird is my Firebird pride. I am always cheering on our teams in every sport I can and do everything to create a positive image for our school

Vote for Alex Winkelman for treasurer because I have a positive and outgoing personality and I am a person who likes to get things done, which would be beneficial on USB next year.

Kaylee Anstaett for Secretary

Photo: Lyndsi Winfield

1. Why do you think you should be USB Secretary?

I think I would be a good USB Secretary because I’m dedicated, organized and I love Fairmont!

1. What are the traits that a secretary needs to be great?

Traits that a great secretary would need is organization and being an overall great person.

1. What are some ideas you have if you become USB Secretary?

Some ideas I have is to do a lot of more spirit chain fundraisers so we can reach the $100,000 amount. I also want to help Fairmont students become more spirited

One strength I have is I think I’m a nice person and so I am very approachable. One weakness I have is I get stressed out easily.
  1. What makes you a Firebird?

What makes me a Firebird is I try to show up to a lot of athletic events and I represent Fairmont well.

Words I have for people who are going to vote is I think that with the amount of other clubs I’m in, I know a lot with what is going on in school so people should vote for someone who has experience.