Rude comments on illegal immigration are hypocritical

By Jilly Hall, Staff Writer

For the majority of Americans, illegal immigration is one of those topics, along with religion, that you never talk about in polite company. Everyone seems to have differing opinions on the subject, and most of them are quite overbearing. The two extremes are basically to kick every illegal immigrant out of the country or let every immigrant in, but these are certainly not the only options. We need some kind of compromise. Both sides need to meet in the middle or nothing is going to get done.

Many people use the argument that illegal aliens are taking American jobs as a reason to oppose immigration reform. In fact, just yesterday I heard someone use the “They’re taking all of our jobs!” excuse. Seriously? Who actually wants to be a migrant farm worker? It’s by far the worst job anyone could ever have. Migrant farming is very dangerous work, and if something happens to the illegal workers, it becomes one of those “oh well, guess we will have to hire someone else” kind of things. Since illegal immigrants aren’t technically allowed to work, their employers don’t have to provide insurance or take any responsibility for their welfare. I’m quite sure that American citizens who are out of work for a long time would look for better options than migrant farming. Unfortunately, though, for illegal aliens this is often the only option.

I understand the other arguments on the issue. Some people are so against immigration because they think the immigrants want to get out of paying taxes. Honestly, I don’t think every immigrant who comes to America illegally actually wants to cheat the system. I’m sure if immigration wasn’t such a long, complicated process, these people would pay their taxes.

I truly think people have many reasons for choosing to come here and not applying for citizenship. It is such a cumbersome process, which requires a plethora of paperwork. Why would you go through that mess when you can still get refused? These people are very brave, and they leave their entire family in whatever country they were from to come to America for plethora of reasons. The heartbreaking thing, though, is that I’ve heard stories about people who spent years trying to get their citizenship, only to be refused and forced to leave the country.  If the process wasn’t so long and drawn out, more people who are “illegal” would be citizens!

As a high school student who is interested in majoring in English and getting a minor in Spanish in college, I know a lot of illegal immigrants from a variety of places and experiences. Recently, I have been helping teach an ESL (English as a Second Language) class on Saturday mornings for people who are from other countries and are trying to get by in theUnited States. I like all of them! The people I have met are very eager to learn English and about the American culture. Some of them are probably more determined than some of the people who are born here. Most of them tell me that the only reason they don’t apply to become citizens is because they fear they’ll get rejected and sent back.

Every illegal immigrant I know is a very kind person and adds culture and variety to our society. This is, after all, the great American tossed salad. Everyone you know is either an immigrant or descended from someone who was an immigrant when the process was somewhat doable. In fact, the only people who are not immigrants to this country are the Native Americans, and I’m sure some of them would agree with your argument about immigration and would love to help you pack your bags!

How can we be so hypocritical of immigrants when we were all there ourselves?

20 Responses to “Rude comments on illegal immigration are hypocritical”

1. Connor H on February 21st, 2012 2:01 pm

There’s a reason they’re called illegal, though. There are plenty of legal immigrants, but is it really fair for one to get the same benefits by immigrating illegally as it is for those who followed the process?

2. Zach Jarrell on February 23rd, 2012 10:19 am

Go Connor. We don’t let people get off for other crimes, so why is this any different? It’s illegal, as in not allowed. They should follow the legal process to become members of our great nation. It may be a tough and slow process, but it’s the law. We have laws for people to follow.

3. Gabrielle West on March 1st, 2012 9:47 am

Jilly, you are 100% correct in this column. I fully agree with you. You’re a beautiful amazing person with a wonderful opinion that people need to listen to more often.

4. Brandon Howard on March 1st, 2012 11:03 am

The law is the law. No exceptions.

5. Nothing on March 2nd, 2012 11:29 am

My dad had to go through the process, so I agree with the boys on this. I get that they are friendly, but if they get rejected, it’s because they didn’t want it bad enough and didn’t try their hardest to actually get in. And illegal is illegal, so why should there be exceptions? I am speaking personally because I have direct family who took over 10 years to get his citizenship, so why can’t the others put in that much dedication as well?

6. Ross on March 2nd, 2012 12:30 pm

We are a nation of immigrants. Everyone here comes from a family who came from another country, except for Native Americans and we denied them rights for hundred of years. The point of our nation is to make the lives of people better; whether they’re already a citizen or not, we should help them. We aren’t so great that we can deny everyone else help. Show a little empathy.

7. john on March 5th, 2012 11:07 am

You are 100% wrong on this topic.

Ross Reply:

Nice argument…

8. amanda on March 6th, 2012 3:56 pm

I agree that the process to become a citizen in this country is flawed and too complicated, and that many of these people are good people; but it’s still the law.

9. Ross on March 8th, 2012 12:30 pm

There are many things that are laws in this country which are flawed. Many more important than this. Like the electoral college. And alcohol laws. And the death penalty. And birth control laws.

Illegal aliens are way less important than these.

10. carl h on March 9th, 2012 9:53 am

I don’t have too much pity for the ILLEGAL immigrants. I think that the so-called president, if you can call him that, should do something about all the problems. Why do people think that it is ok to invade the U.S.? This is our home. Would you let somebody invade your home and take everything that you worked for? There need to be tougher restrictions, end of story. SEND THEM ALL BACK.

11. Rebecca on March 11th, 2012 5:40 pm

America is called the melting pot for a reason. Immigrants now, just like they were when the Pilgrims came to America, are just trying to flee their current countries for reasons like religious freedom, freedom to wear whatever they’d like and say what they’d like. But these people then come to America to find out they’re not wanted for whatever reason. This is wrong! We need to make this country accessible to whomever wants to be here. I understand the United States needs to be protective since 9/11 but there must be an easier, faster way to get this process done. Anyone should be able to live in this great country without the fear of being rejected or deported.

Brandon Howard Reply:

Well, there isn’t much religious freedom anymore or a choice. Since everyone has to have the same health care and religious organizations have to allow birth control when they don’t believe in it. You’re argument is flawed.

If someone from Mexico or Europe wants to be a citizen, then they can go through the same process as everyone else has gone through. NO exceptions. And if they are found here illegally, then they should be shipped back. Taking handouts from the government that can’t afford it and getting better health care than what the elder can get. That is not fair and they should be removed. The immigrants can get in line like everyone else who wants to be an American citizen.

Ross Reply:

There’s still full freedom. Health care is something we should all have the same, and it should be as much as one can get. Everyone should have full health care for free. It’s a basic necessity for good life. The immigrants get better health care than the wealthy because the system is already so flawed.

You can also be any religion you want and practice it how you want. If your religion says don’t use birth control, then your employees won’t even use it.

Connor H Reply:

So, Ross, people who are consistent drug addicts, repeat offenders, and are going to the hospital and pharmacies to abuse the free care they get now, deserve the same care as those of us who work, don’t hurt ourselves, and pay into the system?

12. Msizzle on March 11th, 2012 7:36 pm

There is a difference between law and unjust law.

13. Chris Muratore on March 12th, 2012 1:51 pm

I agree we should treat illegal immigrants like humans, but what they are doing is still an infringement on the national law. I think the solution is to make the process for immigrating to America more efficient.

Ross Reply:

^ Like

14. Rhia on October 26th, 2012 8:32 am

Did you guys forget that when people first started coming here, they were all illegal immigrants? That when they came here, they slaughtered many of the natives and the ones that lived were forced onto small chunks of land? Take a history class before you spout ignorance and bigotry.

Jack Starr Reply:

Ignorance and bigotry? There weren’t any laws when people came here for the first time, not like there are now. And you might like to remember that natives slaughtered just as many of the colonists as the colonists killed of them. Don’t you remember that during the War of 1812, the British paid the Indians $5 for a colonist scalp? Does that sound like something you’d let happen to your countrymen? Honestly.
    I know that people are trying to come into the U.S. because we advertise freedom and liberty. But there are laws to be followed, and those laws must be upheld. Naturalization is the only process that keeps our country from being swamped with so many people that we can’t support ourselves. Letting illegal immigrants stay in the country without deporting them is unfair and unjust to the immigrants who went through the long and grueling process of naturalization, who earned their citizenship in the U.S. If immigrants don’t want to work to become part of a nation that stands on work, then they don’t deserve to be citizens and live in the country.

• Rude comments on illegal immigration are hypocritical

Outdated Movie Review: “Full Metal Jacket”

Jump Ball with Jeff Allen

Haters continue to hate, Steph continues to dazzle

Movie Reviews

Outdated Movie Reviews: Introduction

News

The problem with mountain top removal

News

The truth about Climate Change

Jump Ball with Jeff Allen

The Flyer’s 2017 NBA mock draft

Opinion

Opinions still heated as Trump inauguration approaches

Jump Ball with Jeff Allen

Why Karl-Anthony Towns and the Timberwolves will be the 2020 NBA Finals Champions

What are we really grateful for this Thanksgiving?

Opinion

From the Warriors’ super team, Joel Embiid’s awaited debut to Lebron’s defense of the crown, The Flyer’s predicting it all