Fairmont remembers September 11

Photo: Dani Schaaf

By Kevin O'Donnell, Editor-in-Chief

Every generation experiences a defining moment that goes down in their history. For our grandparents, it was Pearl Harbor. For our parents, it was Vietnam. For us, that moment is September 11, a day when terrorist extremists flew planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. The hijackers took several thousand lives along with our sense of innocence and security. The war in Afghanistan that followed set America on a new course, one which historians will forever debate.

Fairmont students were only in elementary school when they saw those towers fall. Now some of our former classmates are defending the world from groups like Al-Qaeda who perpetrated the attack. Many here at Fairmont also have family or friends fighting bravely in the dangerous hills of Afghanistan. It is the least The Flyer can do to honor their service and express our awe and gratidude of their sacrifice.

Now it’s your turn. On Sept. 11, 2010, people of all ethnicities and religions will bow their heads in respect to those lives lost, share their stories, and remember what happened on this day nine years ago. Please join them and us. Share your memories, thoughts and opinions, either by adding a comment to this post or by submitting a letter to the editor via the form on our home page. We only ask that comments be signed  and polite. Thank you.

3 Responses to “Fairmont remembers September 11”

1. Joe Barton on September 12th, 2010 1:32 am

I don’t remember the twin towers falling and I’m glad. I think I would be even more afraid of airplanes and possibly more unfairly judgmental of Islam. I always feel a strange mix of sadness and fear when I think about 9/11 but at least nothing so terrible was forever scarred into my little kid head. Thanks for the article, Kevin.

2. Melanie West on September 13th, 2010 6:37 pm

What happened that day is very tragic and is something that will not be forgotten. I remember being in second grade and watching the news unfold on the television screen. I was too young to really comprehend what was going on, but now I’m able to understand the way that day has affected our country. It has changed the way Americans view topics such as racial and cultural differences, which isn’t necessarily a good thing. However, I hope people can let go of any hateful feelings they may as a result of 9/11 and adopt a more positive outlook instead.

* By positve outlook I mean a more friendly attitude toward cultural differences.

3. Natalie Wolfe on October 28th, 2010 6:51 pm

Nice opinion articles, Kevin!

Fairmont remembers September 11