No date set for hearing on Togliatti’s termination

No date set for hearing on Togliatti's termination

Photo: Jessica Wuensch

Anne Marie Cardilino, FHS Class of 2011, addresses the Kettering City School Board on its decision to suspend English teacher Michael Togliatti without pay pending termination of his contract. Cardilino and others attended the Aug. 2 meeting to show their support for Togliatti and hear the board’s verdict.

By Kevin O'Donnell, Editor-in-Chief

Contrary to previous news, the public hearing concerning the termination of the contract of Fairmont High School English teacher Mike Togliatti will not be held on Wednesday, Sept. 7.

FHS Principal Dan VonHandorf said neither a hearing date nor a neutral third-party arbitrator has been designated. The board of education must have a disinterested mediator to help negotiate terms of the board of education’s decision. Until both the board of education and Togliatti select someone as such, the negotiation cannot proceed. VonHandorf said it could be months before the parties set a date for the hearing, which must be public if Togliatti requests it to be so.

Repeated attempts to contact Human Resources Director Jim Justice — who directed the investigation while it was in the Kettering School District’s hands — were unsuccessful.

After a student complained about Togliatti’s classroom behavior last spring, administrators began calling in other students and compiling statements. On April 18, the district removed Togliatti from the classroom and placed him on administrative leave.

Previous Flyer stories on this topic:

8/9/11:  Board suspends Togliatti, votes to ‘consider’ termination