SB5 creates anxiety and anger for some … but not all

Photo: Jilly Hall

Both opponents and proponents have a lot to say about SB5, which will eliminate many public employees' bargaining rights if it is enacted.

By Dakota Miller, Staff Writer

By Dakota Miller

Across Ohio, many public workers are outraged at the passing of Senate Bill 5, which would eliminate many of their collective bargaining rights. In response to SB5, many unions, such as the Kettering Education Association, are working quickly to get a referendum on the November ballot in an attempt to repeal the law.

While these unions begin down the road to the referendum, many Kettering Fairmont students and teachers have much to say over Ohio’s new legislation.

What is SB5?

Senate Bill 5 is a piece of legislation recently signed into law by Gov. John Kasich. It will affect public workers such as firefighters, teachers and police officers. In addition to limiting collective bargaining rights, SB5 also removes the right to strike, stating that employees who strike are to be fined twice their daily pay for every day they have gone on strike.

Opposition to SB5

Many educators such as Fairmont English Department Chair Penni Meyer are concerned over SB5. “I fear that many talented college students will avoid going into education and promising young teachers will leave the field,” Meyer said.

KEA President-Elect and Fairmont English teacher Rebecca Templeton-Owens is strongly in opposition to the bill. “This bill can only hurt education in Kettering and around the state. Teacher morale is so important to the success of our students,” she said, “and it is hard to be a positive, high-energy teacher if one is worried about job security.  I work very hard at a job I love, and I’m compensated pretty well for what I do – even though research shows that comparably educated professionals in the private sector make much more than teachers do, even with benefits included.

“With the passage of the bill, morale will be quite low; it already is,” Templeton-Owens continued. “Many of us are already scared and shocked at the viciousness of the attacks against our profession.”

Furthermore, Templeton-Owens fears that the bill could cause division among Ohioans. “With the referendum coming up in November, the anti-public education, anti-union rhetoric is going to get quite vicious,” she said. “Respect for public servants might decrease as a result.  I fear that this issue might polarize our state.”

SB5 and merit pay

Fairmont Principal Dan Von Handorf is also concerned about some of the ramifications of the bill. “There are a lot of challenges administrators will face,” he said. “There’s language in Senate Bill 5 that talks about merit pay for teachers, and so that would tie their pay to how their students do in class. That would be a major shift for our teachers.”

In addition, Von Handorf sees difficulty in how student progress is measured. “To see the problem with this, consider an elective like Art Photo. It’s difficult to measure a year’s worth of growth for some elective classes, unlike core classes,” he said. “All kids take End of Course exams for core classes, but it’s much more difficult in our electives, because our students aren’t taking things in a curricular line, so measuring that for those classes would be very difficult.”

Templeton-Owens fears the effects of merit pay on top of the bill’s other provisions. “With Senate Bill 5 passing and the prospect of merit pay, teachers might become competitive against one another and not have the collaborative spirit that allows us to share ideas and work together.”

Templeton-Owens also worries that with the bill’s provisions, test dependence won’t be on the forefront of teachers’ minds. “Living in fear of drastic cuts to our salaries, benefits and working conditions takes the focus off the kids and puts it on our personal job security,” she said. “If I’m worried about losing my house, my focus won’t be on the OGT.”

Von Handorf also worries about the issue of test score dependence. “I worry that our schools will become more dependent on test scores than they already are,” he said. “After the inception of OGTs, we’ve lived and breathed these tests. I worry that pushing schools to worry more about standardized tests will take away from some of the other stuff we do around here, such as Spirit Chain, Seniors Helping Seniors – things we do in our community that help our students learn what it means to be a good citizen.”

Von Handorf also mentioned the issue of teachers’ tenure. “The process for teachers to get tenure may be changed significantly. That would also be a shift for our teachers.”

There are still other concerns for educators outside of the actual text of the bill.

Meyer worries about how SB5 was pushed through Congress. “I think it was pushed through much too quickly by politicians who haven’t done adequate research and have little knowledge of educational issues. I don’t see anything positive about this bill,” she said.

Fairmont sophomore Anthony Ellis is also against the bill. “I don’t like it,” he said, “because the bill seems to make it so that those who do the most work will end up getting paid less,” he said, citing how many pay benefits will be eliminated with SB5’s passing.

Fairmont sophomore Tiffany Van Winkle agrees with Ellis’ view. “It’s a ridiculous bill,” she said. “It’s attacking the wrong people.”

Sophomore Kerrianne Ryan disagrees with how pay is regulated in SB5. “While I do think some teachers do get overpaid,” she said, “SB5 over-regulates pay. It doesn’t need that much regulation.”

However, Von Handorf does find a positive in SB5. “Our legislators are charged with making Ohio an attractive place for employers,” he said. “They’re trying to make Ohio look good and get business in, so we can have low unemployment and have people working. It’s hard to do that, lower taxes, and not crush those who are already working. It’s a significant challenge, and there are good and bad parts.”

Support for SB5

While many educators are against the new legislation, some members of the community are in full support of the bill. Dayton’s Tea Party founder and President Rob Scott, a Fairmont graduate, is one of those who offer a positive view of Senate Bill 5.

“Both Dayton and Kettering will benefit greatly from SB5,” he said. “The passage of the bill will help Ohio and local governments control their costs and begin to put Ohio’s fiscal house in order.”

Scott cites many parts of Senate Bill 5 that he believes will help Ohio’s work force. “SB5 restricts collective bargaining to wage issues. Under 1983 law, public workers could bargain for wages, health care, pensions, and specific workplace conditions,” he said. “Under the new law, most public workers will be able to only bargain on their salaries. However, SB5 allows police and fire officials to negotiate for safety equipment.”

Scott also cites SB5 provisions regarding merit-based pay for teachers, one of the most hotly contended provisions among teachers’ unions, as one of the law’s biggest benefits. “Ohio’s school teachers will be evaluated based on their students’ performance on standardized testing, the teachers’ licensure level, whether they have achieved highly qualified teaching status, and other criteria selected by local school boards,” he said.

Fairmont sophomore Connor Hodgens is in support of the bill. “Unions hold too much power,” he said. “SB5 may be overstepping some boundaries, but the positives outweigh the negatives.”

While many also worry about the next generation of public workers, Scott is unfazed. “SB5 protects job security in both the state and local government,” he said. “If costs are not contained in the long term, the job markets would in return shrink in size. Additionally, the modest concessions that SB5 requests from public workers brings them more in line with their private sector counterparts.”

At the end of the day, Von Handorf is trying to remain optimistic about the situation. “Depending on the outcome of the SB5 issue, it may be a significant change for everyone – and that means a lot of work to make this place a great place for students,” he said. “Whatever comes out of SB5, we are going to make Fairmont High School a great place for students.”

To read SB5 in its entirety click HERE.

Up for a debate? Click HERE for Paqui Toscano’s commentary and analysis on SB5.

3 Responses to “SB5 creates anxiety and anger for some … but not all”

1. Keith Kerns on April 21st, 2011 2:32 pm

I support SB5 because the public should be the ones to decide whether or not public workers deserve more pay in any sense. Also, the entire country needs to shrink all forms of governing to lower the budget. It may hurt some, like our teachers, but it may be one of many things the US needs to turn ourselves around.

2. EJ Curtis on April 25th, 2011 9:20 am

I oppose the bill just because the bill doesn’t just affect the teacers but also local law enforcement and firefighters. I think that if they are putting their lives on the line for us, they should get what they deserve. If you need to make a cut, cut the people at the top, like the govenors and senators and the big CEOs on Wall Street, not the blue-collar society.

3. Mike Wager on May 11th, 2011 6:17 am

Mr. Miller, thank you for a well-written article. You present both sides of the issue from more than one source. You have learned to present tough issues with objectivity, very important for journalists. As with anything as large as SB5, the devil is in the details. I hope you plan follow-up articles digging into some of those details. Mr. Von Handorf cites concern over teaching to the test, which leads to information regurgitation, rather than ensuring students understand the material, which promotes critical thinking skills. Mr. Scott claims that SB6 will bring pay scales and other benefit costs in line with industry standards. Since there is a push for the referendum in November, follow-up articles on Mr. Von Handorf and Mr. Scott’s ideas would make for a very informative reading. Good job!

• SB5 creates anxiety and anger for some … but not all

News

Stock market reaches an all-time high

News

Donald Trump’s immigration ban

News

The problem with mountain top removal

News

The truth about Climate Change

News

Citizens rejoice and protest as Donald Trump is inaugurated into office

News

Inauguration Day 2017

News

Rising cost of college outrages students

News

Ohio State stabbing just one of many recent violent acts

News

What is going on in Standing Rock?

Fairmont Booster Craft Show