School Board recognizes FHS scholars, athletes

Photo: Jessica Wuensch

By Jessica Wuensch, Staff Writer

At the Kettering Board of Education meeting on Nov. 16, 2010, several Fairmont students were recognized for various achievements, starting with Fairmont’s four students who were named National Merit Commended Scholars. The honorees were seniors Laura Cordonnier, Meredith Grogan, Nicole Ray, Alex Williamson, and former Fairmont student David Horney. To qualify, these students took the PSAT in the autumn of 2009 and had to score in the top 3 percent of all students in the nation. “It is a great glory for us tonight,” said School Board President Jim Trent.

Also recognized for his academic performance, Kyle Flenar received the Honda-OSU Partnership Math Medal Award. “I can just feel the brainpower radiating,” said Superintendent Dr. James Schoenlin of the Fairmont senior. Flenar, who is in Multivariable Calculus this year, is the No. 1 math student at Fairmont.

The DECA Marketing  program has also been garnering several first places lately. Junior Marketing student Nicole Manzo recently won first place in the Parliamentarian category at the District competition in Cleveland. Madeline Lehrner, a senior, also competed at the District competition and received first place in Female Public Relations. Lehrner has qualified to go to the State competition and campaigned to be Ohio Southwest Region Vice President. Lehrner won the election and will  represent 45 schools at All-State and National DECA functions.

Several Fairmont student-athletes were recognized for their leadership skills at the Board of Education meeting. Sophomore Cheyenne Jones and senior Kyle Chambers were two of the 10 Fairmont students chosen to attend a GWOC Student Leadership Conference. “These are the best of the best,” said Athletic Director Brian Donoher. The conference was about learning how to use one’s assets, strengths and weaknesses to be a better leader on their teams, the GWOC Central Champion Varsity Girls’ Volleyball team and Varsity Wrestling team, respectively. “It’s not just about being a leader in your words,” Chambers said, “but your actions, too.”