Fairmont students present modern fairy tale to elementary schools, community

By Kevin O'Donnell, Academics/Administration Editor

Community members can see Fairmont High School students performing Judy Wolfman’s “The Golden Goose” at 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 15, in the Recital Hall at the high school.  Admission is $3 for students, children and senior citizens and $5 for adults.

The cast performed the play for local elementary schools on Friday, May 14.

The cast, under the direction of Fairmont English/Drama teacher Darren McGarvey, has been practicing from 3:15 to 4:30 every week day.

Senior Justin Miles plays Dumbkopf, the lead male role who travels into a forest in search of his brothers, played by seniors Arber Troni and Nathan Streithorst. Instead, he finds an elderly woman, played by senior Kat Ygbuhay, who rewards him with a “lucky” golden goose for his kindness.

“This is a story of a young man who finds happiness and love from that one gift of kindness,” said McGarvey of the 45-minute “Golden Goose.” The goose gives Dumbkopf a strange power that leads him on a comical quest to find the King, played by senior TJ Klopfstein. Up-and-coming freshman actress Caroline Grogan provides the “love interest” as the Princess courted by Dumbkopf.

Other actors include seniors Matt Letteri, Allie Dyer and April Holland; juniors Lexi Muller and Patrick Taylor; sophomores Alex Meyer and Melanie West; and freshman Cassidy Fink.