IB students raise money for Heifer International

By Natalie Wolfe, Editor-in-Chief

The International Baccalaureate Class of 2010 is collecting money for the Heifer International organization. The IB program students are required to do a Creative Action Service project that allows the students to work on an international problem. They chose to work with Heifer International, a humanitarian organization that tries to end hunger and poverty in 50 nations around the world. In doing this, they provide livestock, trees and seeds to impoverished families. Along with this, they provide training to the family so they learn environmentally friendly agricultural practices. Heifer International’s goal is to help people be better able to feed themselves.

The IB students are taking donations for this organization. Their goal is to raise $2,000, but a donation as small as $10 can provide a share of sheep to an impoverished family.

Senior IB diploma candidate Allie Dyer thinks Heifer International is a great organization. “We chose Heifer International because we liked its message of helping people help themselves. It empowers people to make a livelihood with livestock,” she said. “We really liked the fact that this one donation can positively affect a community in a sustainable way.”

The Class of 2010 IB students will be the first IB diploma candidates to graduate from Fairmont. Anyone wishing to make a donation can do so in the Activities Office.