Fairmont Music Department demonstrates their excellence at OMEA

By Jessica Parrett, Editor-in-Chief

On March 5-6, seven Fairmont music ensembles competed at the OMEA District 12 Concert Band and Concert Choir Competition. During the competition, each ensemble performed three prepared selections in which they were rated by three judges on their stage performance.

After performing their three selections, the ensembles went to a separate room, where they demonstrated their music reading ability by sight-reading a piece of music in front of a fourth judge.

Five of the seven Fairmont music ensembles received an overall top rating of “Superior.” This included Fairmont’s Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Chorale, Men’s Chorus, Women’s Chorus and Afternoon Concert Band. Of those five groups, the Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Chorale competed in the highest classification of AA music.

Fairmont’s Symphonic Band and Morning Concert Band received overall “Excellent” ratings.

In demonstrating their musicianship and sight-reading ability, all seven of the ensembles were awarded “Superior” ratings.

Two weeks prior, two of the three Fairmont orchestras were also awarded “Superior” ratings at the Orchestra Competition.

One Response to “Fairmont Music Department demonstrates their excellence at OMEA”

1. Elizabeth Dakin on May 4th, 2010 4:15 pm

I just wanted to say that all three choirs received a “superior” rating at the OMEA state contest last Friday.