Spirit Chain ‘keeps it in Kettering’ in 2009

Photo: Amanda Feairheller

Interactive Media

By Kaydee Miller, Staff Writer

Fairmont’s United Student Body wants to “Keep it in Kettering” with this year’s Spirit Chain charities.

In fact, that’s the theme for this year’s fundraising effort. After years of helping others across the nation, the USB wants to make it more personal.

USB is focusing on two main charities, the Good to Go Backpack program and Habitat for Humanity. “Our goal is to get more personal with Kettering, and then branch out to other people,” said Emily Miller, USB president.

‘Backpack’ program targets hungry kids

The Good to Go Backpack program helps to feed the children whose parents can’t always do so over the weekend. The organization will fill a bag with nutritious food so the children don’t go hungry, and they can stay healthy. “The bag will be filled with Chef Boyardee, mini cereal, fruit cups, and pretty much anything they can make themselves,” said Allie Angerer, USB member.

Children whose families are eligible for reduced lunch prices are considered for this program. The counselors at schools choose other kids they think have trouble getting food at home. School staff members don’t announce who gets the food, but they pull the children aside after school and give them their “Good to Go Backpack.”

Building a house for a Kettering family

The second charity USB is focusing on is Habitat for Humanity. This organization has decided to build a house in Kettering for a family from Rwanda who now live in a HUD-subsidized apartment. Faustin Hategekimana and his wife Teresa Uwanyiligira had a lot of land in Rwanda, but it wasn’t an appropriate place for a family of five children. The family moved to the United States seven years ago to keep the family safe.

The family took courses on how to build the house, so they’ll take part in the building. “The groundbreaking for the house is tentatively set for Sept. 28, 2009,” said Jenny Borchers, the Student Activities director at Fairmont. Although there isn’t a set date on when the house will be finished, the USB will keep everyone up to date during the building of the house.  The children who will live in the house go to Kettering City Schools.      

Students and staff who want to help with these charities have many ways to get involved in Spirit Chain. The money from spirit shirts and Homecoming go toward the Spirit Chain charities. Students can also donate money or contact the the Activities Office to donate approved food for the Good to Go Backpack program. Anyone who would like to donate some time can volunteer to help build the house for Habitat for Humanity.

Spirit Week activities planned

Students can also support Spirit Chain by being sure to show their spirit during Spirit Week. This year, Spirit Week falls on the week of Oct. 26-30. Each day that week, Fairmont students and staff can dress according to that day’s theme.

Monday is pajama day. On Tuesday, people can show their spirit by wearing their favorite college shirt. Wednesday is famous couple or group day, and Thursday is Halloween costume day. On Friday, it’s school spirit day, so students and staff are encouraged to wear their blue, white and silver to show their spirit.

That Friday also will feature a pep rally at the end of the day to encourage the Firebirds’ Varsity Football team to victory against the Centerville Elks that night. The class that wins the Spirit Chain will be announced at the pep rally.