Deuce Shirts recently moved to Bigger Road last December.

Photo: Kaylee Anstaett

Photo: Kaylee Anstaett

By Noah Landis, Features Editor

The name, Deuce Shirts, has been popping up around Kettering more and more as the budding business looks to make its mark on the community. The custom clothing company just relocated to Kettering on Bigger Road in December and since then, they have striven to give their customers a smooth experience that ends with the perfect product.

Jason Schirmer, president of Deuce Shirts, came up with the idea of a family-owned, custom apparel business 9 years ago. Now they’ve expanded their services to become a popular option for specialized gear.

Deuce offers a variety of options for custom clothes that includes screen printing, embroidery, vinyl graphics, promotional, design and spirit wear apparel.

“We’re diverse in what we offer and I think that’s what sets us apart,” Schirmer said.

Schirmer oversees the staff, the storefront, market research and customer service. He has gradually guided Deuce into the efficient, customer-is-always-first company it is today.

“Customer service is first and foremost,” Schirmer said. “We want to make sure to take care of our customers as best as we can and to encourage them to come back.”

Schirmer believes with the right intentions, Deuce can continue their excellent work with returning customers while also bringing in more clients.

“If you offer exceptional service and you deliver one the best products in the area you can guarantee customer satisfaction,” Schirmer said, “We try to create exactly what the customer is looking for and then back it up with a quality product and on time delivery.”

Schirmer and his wife saw a need for a quality apparel shop that was local and had ties to the community. They wanted to create something different than a big-box retail clothing stores that are found everywhere.

“We envisioned Deuce becoming it’s own brand and I think it’s really developed into one. We wanted a name that was easy to remember and would roll of your tongue,” Schirmer said, “We wanted people to say ‘Yeah, I’m going to Deuce’ or ‘I got this shirt from Deuce’ and it’s really worked out well.”

Schirmer is proud to say the business is locally owned and that was how the business was made. “We took this all into consideration when we created the company and it really just started out as a 3-man operation with my wife, my brother-and-law and me,” Schirmer said. As the company grew so did the number of employees.

Fairmont senior, Noah Kihn has been working as a design intern at Deuce for a month. He does a lot of things for the business ranging from picking up materials, checking inventory and even designing shirts.

Kihn has really enjoyed joining Deuce’s staff. “I love working there. Everybody is super nice and I’ve felt like a part of the team since my first day.”

Kihn attests to the dedication of the staff and their commitment to making the best product. “Everyone works really hard for their customers. They care a lot about what they do and try to create the best gear possible,” he said.

Along with expanding their services, Deuce has attempted to expand their overall storefront to reach a wider range of customers. They hope to have a larger impact on the local market. “We wanted to expand our access to Kettering and other cities in the area by creating a more active street presence with a bigger storefront,” Schirmer said.

The move, although not totally finished, has already shown promise. The local community has taken notice of the new storefront. “It’s been really successful. We’re getting more people who don’t know who we are and just coming in and seeing what we do,” Schirmer said.

He loves the move and thinks it’ll produce even more business. “We’re extremely busy and we always want to keep getting busier,” he said.

As the company flourishes and more and more people find out about the custom clothing store, Schirmer is finding that their customers are really satisfied with their service.

“I think we’re a good, little secret and when people find us and see what we do, a lot of them wish they had found out about us earlier,” he said.