FHS resource officer maintains open-door policy

Photo: Rachel Herman

By Emily Pacenta, Staff Writer

Most students walk past Room 208 almost every day not knowing who or what is in that room. In fact, it’s the room the school resource officer calls home base. In January, Fairmont got a new SRO, Carla Sacher, who’s a member of the Kettering Police Department. The Flyer wanted to learn more about Officer Sacher and the role of a resource officer, and she agreed to talk with us.

What is your job exactly?

I assist administrators in disciplinary matters that require law enforcement. I also work at Van Buren Middle School. I try to take a proactive stance by going into the classrooms to discuss and present on issues such as Internet safety and the consequences of posting certain things on social media websites. 

Why did you decide to be a police officer at a high school?

I am a former educator who taught 16 years in a private school setting and have a bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Education, so I love being able to combine my two passions of education and law enforcement in the City of Kettering. During college, I did my student teaching at Fairmont High School, and Kettering is an excellent school district.

Do you enjoy being a part of students’ lives?

Yes, very much so. If I can have a positive influence on students and make a difference even in the slightest way, I’m happy to have that opportunity. I enjoy the interaction in the classroom and individually helping students when they have a difficult situation to deal with in their lives.

What kinds of problems do you deal with at the high school?

The problems vary at the high school, but so far I’ve had to deal with Internet issues, including cyberbullying on Facebook, telephone harassment and texting, and family problems. I also have counseled students on issues they are facing today and decisions they make as young adults.

Why did you choose to go into law enforcement?

I believe in public service to your community, which means as a police officer protecting and serving the Kettering community. I’m happy to do this for the community I grew up in and give back in this way. I enjoy having the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives and believe I can do that as a police officer. 

If you could change one thing about your job, what exactly would it be and why?

I would change the hours a police officer works. Since we are a 24-hour operation, it makes it difficult on family life and working holidays as well. This is just a part of our job, but it makes it more difficult to be with your family. I end up missing events in their lives I would like to support and see.

What is the most important thing that you want Fairmont students to know?

I want the students of Fairmont to know that I’m available at any time. I want them to know that my door is always open for any student, and I would love for them to talk to me before a problem gets out of hand. I will always do my best to protect them and help them.