Students and staff think beyond the ink with tattoos

Photo: Alona Skipper

Tattoos come in all shapes, sizes and colors, but almost every tattoo has a cool story behind it. These Fairmont students (and teachers) took the chance to show off their ink and share the meaning behind their body art.

By Cole Cavanah, Staff Writer

Tattoos used to be for sailors, outlaws and biker gangs, but now even Fairmont students and teachers adorn themselves with their own unique body art. Tattoos are more common in today’s world than ever before. They are seen as artwork, a form of self-expression and, in some cases, a sign of rebellion.

Tattoos are made by a needle puncturing the skin into the second layer of skin called the dermis while injecting ink into the dense skin cells so the mark becomes permanent. Tattoos used to be created manually, and in some countries they still are, but for the most part, tattoos are now made by a machine. The tattoo artist uses a foot pedal to control the speed of the needle based on how detailed the design is.

Most tattoos in today’s society are for looks and to achieve a “cool” image, but some are symbolic and have more meaning. Some even have stories behind them.

The legal age to get a tattoo without permission is 18, but kids as young as 15 can get their own mark with parental permission. Many students at Fairmont have tattoos with stories behind them.

Students show off personal markings

Some might be surprised to learn that USB Commissioner of Spirit Justin Kihn has been inked.

“My tattoo is two Chinese symbols and it’s on my back right shoulder. The first means ‘family’ and the second one means ‘strength,’” said Kihn. “I got it because my mom said if I qualified for state in wrestling, I could get one. I qualified, so my whole family got one just like mine.”

Chelsea Robbins is a 2011 graduate Fairmont who has a few tats of her own.

“I got my first of five tattoos 20 days after I turned 18,” said Robbins. “I have a tattoo on my side; my friend Dan who’s in the army has the same one on his wrist. It’s a treble clef with a music staff wrapped around it. All of my tattoos have references to music, except the stars on my ankle that stand for my mom, dad and sister.”

Robbins said she has a favorite tattoo. It’s of a blossoming flower with music notes coming out of it. “It has a lot of meaning to me,” Robbins said.

Sophomore Brandon Boykin is willing to share the story behind his tat.

“My tattoo is on my left hip and it says ‘Blood is Thicker Than Water,’” said Boykin. “I got this tattoo because it has a lot of meaning to me. It means that family comes before friends. My grandpa used to say it all the time, and my dad has it tattooed around his wrist.”

Teachers get tattoos, too

Some Fairmont teachers also have adorned themselves with their own permanent mark.

Biology teacher June Martin and English teacher Josh Oliver got matching sea turtle tattoos while on a school trip. Martin’s is located on her ankle.

“It’s a petroglyph of a green sea turtle that is only found in Hawaii,” Martin said. “I also have the words underneath it that say ‘sea turtle’ in Hawaiian. I have had it for eight years, and I got it because my favorite memory of living in Hawaii was swimming with the green sea turtles.”

Oliver says the turtle tattoo he got on the school trip is located on his left clavicle. He also has another turtle tattoo on his upper right arm. “It’s a painted turtle with the saying underneath, ‘Keep the turtle fertile,’” he said. “I got it because when I was in high school, I was in a Boy Scout group called Order of the Arrow. I was on the ceremonies team, and the ceremonies had a Native American influence.”

Oliver explained how the Native Americans believed the world was on the back of a sea turtle. “We would always huddle up before a big speech to pump up, and my friend, Rhett, would always say, ‘Keep the turtle fertile.’”

Oliver also has tattoos on his left wrist, across his back, on each deltoid and on his right thigh. He even has a rule that helps him control the number of tattoos he has.

“My tattoo rule is that if I have an idea for a tattoo, I have to wait a year until I get it. If I still want the tattoo a year from then, I’m probably destined to have it.”

Does Oliver have a favorite tattoo?

“No, picking a favorite tattoo is like picking a favorite child. It just can’t be done.”

Are tattoos worth the pain?

When most people think tattoos, they think needles; and when most people think needles, they think pain.

But Kihn didn’t think the pain was a big deal. “It didn’t hurt at all; I thought it felt like an Indian burn that I used to get as a kid,” he said.

A needle puncturing the skin no doubt hurts, but some say they get accustomed to it. “Getting the tattoo hurt pretty bad at first,” Boykin said. “The first letter was the worst, and then it got better after that.”

Then there is the pain of regret. Parents are always talking about how teens will regret tattoos when they’re older. But do teens think their tattoos are regrettable?

“No way! I actually plan to get a couple more in the future,” said Robbins.

Boykin also sees no reason to regret his tattoo. “This tattoo means so much to me; I would get it in another spot if I could,” he said.

Kihn likes his tattoo so much, he plans to get at least two more. “I have no regrets at all,” he said.

The teachers, however, do admit to some regrets in terms of their ink.

“I regret it a little bit. If I’m going to a wedding or someplace that I have to wear a nice dress, the tattoo sticks out like a sore thumb. It can be a burden,” Martin said. “Nevertheless, it’s my tattoo and I have to deal with it.”

Does Oliver have any longtime regrets?

“I regret the tattoo on my thigh. I didn’t follow the tattoo rule I have, and it turned out to be stupid,” he said, declining to reveal what it is.

Tattoos are everywhere — from the skins of burly people in biker gangs to skinny high school students. The ink of tattoos may fade, but it seems the desire to express through tattoos will be around for many years to come.

8 Responses to “Students and staff think beyond the ink with tattoos”

1. James Arnold on October 28th, 2011 8:30 am

I think Cole should have interviewed Latin teacher Mr. Vesely for this article on tattoos. He probably has more than anyone in Fairmont.

2. Paige on October 28th, 2011 6:11 pm

He did interview Mr. Vesely, but I guess he didn’t find what he had to say good enough for the article.

3. Janie Ross, Flyer Adviser on October 29th, 2011 11:14 am

Paige ~ Journalists almost always interview more people for a story than they actually quote. I doubt it was a matter of Mr. Vesely’s quotes not being “good enough.” Journalists just can’t always use all the quotes they have in a particular story. I thought Cole did a very nice job on the story.

4. Sierra Bauer on November 3rd, 2011 12:05 pm

I have a heart on my right hip and I love it. I got it when I ran away because I was thinking of my family and how much I missed them. I plan on getting the names and birthdates of my biological and adoptive families on my wrists, hips, and ankles.

5. Mallory on November 6th, 2011 10:36 am

I decided that if I were to get a tattoo, it would be of either a teble clef or something about my sister Brooke, both of which have altered my life majorly. I think I’ll get both someday, probably on my upper back somewhere.

6. Nikki Brown on November 8th, 2011 10:23 am

I’ve been wanting a tattoo since 7th grade of an angel with a bleeding wing because it will help me remember my past in a unregrettable way. Does anyone have any other ideas for a tattoo or does anyone think I should go for it and see what happens?

Sierra Bauer Reply:

I think you should go for it; that would be a good idea. But if the past is a bad thing, I wouldn’t because you would forever be reminded of the past and what happened. I’m getting a heart with angel wings on my upper left back saying, “Love what you have, it’s not gonna be around forever.” If you have wanted it since 7th grade, then you will more than likely get it because you have wanted it for a long time and you know you want it.

Nikki Brown Reply:

Its a tribute to my family who died from cancer when I was young. And thanks, I think once I have the money I’ll go get it.

• Students and staff think beyond the ink with tattoos