Astrology: A useful tool or an entertaining distraction?

Photo: Illustration by Brandi Fielek

WKET Live

By Rachel Sheidler, Staff Writer

BONUS FEATURE:  Do Fairmont students recognize themselves in their zodiac descriptions? Click HERE to find out!

Many Fairmont students claim they don’t read their horoscopes. But let’s be honest, nearly everyone reads them from time to time, if only out of curiosity. As to whether or not students believe what they read … well, that’s another matter.

Horoscopes and astrology began thousands of years ago with the ancient Greeks. They used astrology to determine when to plant and harvest their crops. Over time, they began to believe the position of the sun and planets in our solar system had an effect on a person’s future. Astrologers see a spiritual connection among all things – even the planets, stars and us.

Millions of people check their horoscope daily to discover what the future holds for them. Horoscopes give “insight” on topics such as money, love, careers and family. Twelve zodiac signs make up the year, and each zodiac is named after a constellation. One’s zodiac sign depends on when he was born.

Whether the horoscope predicts riches or bad luck, people tend to disagree whether or not the stars can determine their personality or the outcome of their day.

“I don’t believe in horoscopes because it can’t personally predict how my day is going to go when it is the same horoscope being read by other people who just happen to be Leos like me,” said Fairmont High School sophomore Veronica Denker. “When they do happen to come true, I think it’s just a coincidence.”

Junior Timm Neeley would have to agree. “I have no reason to believe that someone can tell my future just by star gazing,” he said.

Other students believe in their zodiac attributes because they feel it describes them perfectly. “I’m a Pisces and it really does describe me because I tend to lean away from logic and more toward the arts,” said senior April Kinsinger.

Horoscopes also warn readers what to keep watch for in the days, weeks or months ahead. People read their horoscope at different times and for different reasons.

“I read my horoscope every day. They decide my mood for the day and help me learn to be more cautious,” said senior Heather Clark.

Others prefer to check out their horoscope at the end of the day to see if the prediction was correct. “I like comparing my horoscope to my day,” said junior Brooke Swallows.

Many people who don’t read their horoscope daily will admit to reading it on occasion.

“Sometimes when I’m reading a magazine and the magazine has horoscopes, I’ll read mine,” said sophomore Alex Wallman.

Though horoscopes can be entertaining and fun to follow, they cannot be proven accurate. Some folks are happy, however, when the stars project a good day and it turns out to be true.

“Once my horoscope said good things were coming my way,” said sophomore Jake Lowe. “I found $10 in my backpack and got a 99 percent on my Social Studies exam.”