Bright colors, floral patterns bloom as weather warms

Photo: Jessica Wuensch

Bright colors are a must for this spring's fashion.

By Madison Wray, Staff Writer

Spring is coming and new fashions are blooming – full of colors, floral patterns and anything that screams springtime. Girls can’t wait to dig out the dresses and skirts from the bottom of their closets or ransack the mall, shopping for new spring clothes. This spring, fashion is going to be taken to the extreme with dresses, short shorts, pretty blouses and more.

According to Seventeen Magazine, “This season’s styles are all about youthful innocence.” Baby doll dresses, ballet flats and rompers (which are like dresses, but with shorts built in) are also on Seventeen Magazine’s top picks for style this spring season.

Many Fairmont High School girls, including junior Rachel Hester, agree with Seventeen and forecast that bright colors and floral patterns will be very popular this spring season. “I think girls will be wearing more dresses and skirts. The season of spring is all about color, so I think we will definitely be seeing bright colors and sheer clothing,” said Hester.

Fairmont junior Kenzie Dorman loves fashion and is excited about what spring has to offer. “This spring I will definitely be wearing lots of floral dresses and skirts. I also am a huge fan of gladiator shoes; I can see gladiators being very popular this coming spring,” she said.

Glamour Magazine’s forecast differs slightly from that of Seventeen. Glamour predicts this season will be all about a more sophisticated but laid-back look, such as wearing baseball tees. The folks at Glamour also think an exotic look will be very popular this spring. Safari-inspired pieces, such as animal prints and crazy patterns that look like they came from the Aztec days, are going to be all the talk in fashion.

Despite its eighties feel, tie-dye also is expected to come back in style, appearing on dresses and long shirts. And even though spring is supposed to be all about pretty colors and floral patterns, indigo will add a very sophisticated look to spring. “For a night on the town, wear indigo from head to toe and pair it with a blazer and dark skinny jeans,” Glamour advises.

Lots of accessories are also forecast for spring. Expect to see earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings from head to toe this season.

Fairmont junior Emma Dornbusch is totally excited about what new accessories she’ll get to sport this spring. “I think girls will be wearing a lot more accessories with color, especially after such a dreary winter,” said Dornbusch.

Glamour also says classic pieces such as military jackets are a must-have in your wardrobe; pair one with jeans or a cute new dress or skirt. “Investing in classic pieces is important because it allows you to take full advantage of your wardrobe and it gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself to recreate new outfits with the same pieces!” said Glamour blogger Jules Sarinana.

Anything in denim is going to be a huge style factor this spring, including short shorts, mini skirts and even jean jackets. “Everything in denim is just what you need to embrace fashion’s new jean regime – minimalist blues, tough chic, classic cool and more,” according to ELLE.

On the other side of fashion, men may see a new perspective of style this spring, with lots of jackets and waterproof gear to be well-equipped for the spring rain. Gentleman’s Quarterly is all about jackets, jackets and more jackets. They say that every guy needs a good raincoat for spring to take on the weather. For a more edgy side, leather jackets are a good look and they bring out the inner rocker. Also, “a nice suit is something that every man needs to have in his closet.”

Accessories are also going to comprise a look that is definitely going to be popular this season, according to GQ. Hats, watches and sunglasses are all accessories that every guy needs for spring. Colorful ties are also a must have for every man – not pink and pastel colors, but a new twist: plaid ties!

Fairmont junior Chris Roush likes to look nice every day for school and can’t wait to dig out his shorts and collared shirts. “I don’t like to look sloppy at school, so I’m excited for spring clothes. I’ll probably wear a lot of khaki shorts and nice collared short-sleeved shirts,” said Roush.

Check the thermometer outside, the grass is getting greener and the temperature is rising. So get out those spring clothes and jump into spring. This spring season is going to be all about expressing your individuality and creating a new style. With spring right around the corner, it’s time to find that perfect new outfit!