Borchers aims high in first year as Activities Director

Photo: Amanda Feairheller

By Natalie Wolfe, Editor-in-Chief

Some people have trouble figuring out what kind of job they’d like long after they’ve left high school. But even as a Fairmont student almost a decade ago, Jenny Borchers’ had her eye on the job of Activities Director. This year, it became her reality.

Borchers has experience when it comes to school involvement. She attended Fairmont (with her maiden name of Britton) and graduated with the Class of 2001. While a student here, she was involved in a variety of activities, including class council, Latin Club, Octagon Club and volunteering in Fairmont Industries. She was also the editor of The Flyer and United Student Body president. “I definitely feel like I embodied Fairmont spirit,” she said.

When she returned to Fairmont as a teacher four years ago, the Activities Director job was filled by Ruthann Kain. “The job was out of sight and out of mind,” Borchers said. When Kain stepped down last year to return to a full teaching schedule as an intervention specialist, Borchers was approached to fill the position.

“It was time for me to think about whether this job would be a good fit for me,” Borchers said.

She took the position and has many goals she wishes to fulfill in her first year as Activities Director. “I want to develop students as leaders,” Borchers said. She hopes to encourage those in leadership positions to go above and beyond their responsibilities.

“Just like some students shine in athletics, I would like to see students known for being shining student council members,” she said.

Along with working three periods of the day in the Activities Office, Borchers also teaches four periods of classes. Her classes include one freshman English class, two special education classes and one OGT study course.  “I like that I am able to work with a wide range of students, but it can be stressful,” she said.

During her time as a teacher at Fairmont, Borchers has noticed a lack of Firebird spirit around the school. “It is frustrating to see that students can be more united behind a school like Ohio State. We see OSU shirts all over school, and there just aren’t as many people wearing Fairmont shirts.”

Borchers suggests that the economy may be a driving force behind this. “Fairmont shirts may cost $15 or so, and students may find them more difficult to buy,” she said. “We are working on fixing this. We want to give away more free shirts.”

Shirts were given away at the freshman orientation, which took place on Aug. 18 of this year. Some shirts from past years were given to the students as well. Borchers also arranged to have more than 100 shirts given away at the fall pep rally.

This wasn’t the biggest change at this year’s fall pep rally. Borchers decided to hold the pep rally in Fairmont’s Main Gym instead of Trent Arena, the only facility large enough to hold the entire Fairmont student body.

“Trent Arena is nice if everyone wants to be involved. The attitudes portrayed in the past showed that not everyone wanted to be there,” Borchers said. Students paid a dollar to attend the rally and those who didn’t wish to attend stayed in their 7th period classes. More than 800 tickets were sold, and all the proceeds went to the Spirit Chain charities.

Borchers feels this setup created a positive environment because the students in attendance wanted to be there. However, some students have questioned whether this was a good move, and Borchers hasn’t yet decided if this format will be used for pep rallies in the future. She would love more student involvement in planning pep rallies and says she’s open to suggestions. “I invite people to talk to me and submit ideas, but as of yet, no one has,” she said. 

Overall, Borchers feels like the year has been going well. Fairmont started the year by winning Spirit Chain and raising $53,300 for Kettering charities, compared to Centerville’s $47,000. In the Food Drive, Fairmont collected close to 3,000 pounds of food, which exceeded what was expected by 1,000 pounds. In addition, Fairmont adopted 200 students for the annual Giving Tree, which doubled the 100 students that were adopted last year.

“I’m super-excited,” Borchers said. “Every goal we’ve had for the student body, we have exceeded.”