The newest technology rolls out just in time for the holidays

By Molly Becker, Features Editor

It’s that time of year. Department stores are decorated with tinsel, trees and lights, and Christmas tunes have begun to fill the air. Christmas is just around the corner and The Flyer has got you covered with information on new gadgets and technology that you might want to mention in your letter to Santa.

Junior Nuponu Gorneleh is most excited for the new gaming systems. “It’s awesome that PlayStation3 is only $299 because that is a pretty good price for technology like that, said Gomeleh. “I also heard that the PS3 game Madden NFL 10 has sweet graphics.” 

Senior Katy Coe likes to keep up with the new cell phone technology. “I love when new cell phones come out because they are such a great tool to stay connected,” said Coe. “Technology is a good thing for the future and a good booster of the economy. As new technology items come out, people eagerly buy them.”

Technology is advancing at a rapid pace, and it can be hard to keep up. “The progression is a good thing, but I think it is only a matter of time before computers are going to become so advanced that they will be able to control themselves,” said Gomeleh.

Here’s a list of the newer technology items that caught The Flyer’s attention. If you aren’t sure what you want for Christmas, maybe something on this list will spark your interest!

Sony Cyber-shot Digital Camera T90

This camera is ultra-chic and ultra thin, which makes it easy to take anywhere. Also, the camera has iAuto mode that automatically adjusts the settings for any location. It also includes Face Detection mode that captures detail and natural skin tone in faces. The Cyber-shot T90 is 12.1 megapixels and has a 4X optical zoom lens and a 3-inch LCD touch screen. It costs $279.99.

Sony Multi-function Clock Radio for iPod

This multi-function clock radio allows you to dock, watch and wake up to your iPod or iPhone. It has a 7-inch LCD screen to view photos and videos and a docking tray to charge or listen to your iPod. The radio also includes 12GB of built-in memory. The Multi-function Clock Radio for iPod costs $149.95.

Sony PlayStation 3

The new PlayStation 3 250GB System includes built-in Wi-Fi, a Blu-Ray player for high-definition picture quality and two USB ports. It costs $349.99. There’s also the 120GB system available for $299.99.

Sony PSPgo system

This is the most portable PlayStation system yet. It has a 16GB hard drive and allows you to download digital games, movies and TV shows from PlayStation network. Additional features include Bluetooth support to talk with friends and a 3.8-inch LCD screen to make your movies and games come to life. The PSPgo is $249.99. 

Rubik’s TouchCube

For those brainiacs out there, the Rubik’s TouchCube is a fun new gadget that may be for you. It’s the first completely electronically solvable Rubik’s Cube. The touch-sensor technology lets you slide the lights merely by a swipe of your fingers. It includes a processor that knows how many steps are needed to solve the Cube at any time, and the Smart Coach can give you the hints you need to solve the Cube step by step.  It includes rechargeable batteries and a recharging display stand. It costs $149.99

Sony Reader Touch Edition

This is a reader digital book that lets you access up to 350 of your favorite books. The Reader has a 6-inch touch screen that allows you to turn the page with the swipe of a finger. It also includes a stylus that allows you to highlight sections and annotate the text. It includes 512MB of memory. The cost is $299.99. If you like this idea, but want something a little cheaper, there’s also a non-touch screen version on sale for $199.99. 

Sony VAIO Signature Collection X Notebook

Weighing a mere 1.6 pounds, this compact laptop delivers up to 17.5 hours of battery life and has a 128GB solid state drive. It also has the wireless technology and GPS navigation already built in. It costs $1,499.99.

iPod Touch

The iPod Touch serves as an iPod, pocket computer and game player all in one. The iPod Touch has built-in Wi-Fi and is available in 32GB and 64GB models. The 32GB iPod Touch costs $299 and the 64GB version costs $399.

The Samsung Rogue cell phone

The Samsung Rogue has a touch screen handset with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. It comes with a 3.0-megapixel camera and camcorder. Users can customize the device by adding widgets, which are icons like on the iPhone, to access different applications. It costs $79.99.

The LG EnV Touch

The LG EnV Touch rivals the iPhone. It has a 3-inch external touch screen and a QWERTY keyboard. It also includes a 3.2 megapixel camera and camcorder, a music player and is capable of connecting to the Web and email. It costs $99.99.

The Motorola Droid

The Motorola Droid is the newest phone that can compete with the iPhone. The Droid has a 3.7-inch high resolution display screen, a 5-megapixel camera with DVD quality video and 16GB preinstalled memory.  There are 10,000 plus apps for the Droid, including the already built-in app, Google Talk. It also includes high-speed mobile browsing. It costs $199.99.

One Response to “The newest technology rolls out just in time for the holidays”

1. Amena Shermadou on November 23rd, 2009 10:35 pm

Great article, Molly! Keep up the great work! =)