It’s fall! Get scared, find a costume or take a hayride

Photo: Sam Robison

By Kaydee Miller, Staff Writer

Fall reminds people of haunted houses, falling leaves and football games. Some people like to carve pumpkins or cuddle up by the bonfire. Whatever you’re into, there’s always something to do this time of year.

Since it’s October, it’s natural to think about Halloween and haunted trails. One of the most popular haunted trails is Land of Illusion in Middletown.

“I like Land of Illusion because there are four different trails you can choose from,” said senior Johnny Robinson. Besides the Middletown Haunted Trail, you can enjoy the Temple of Terror, Dr. Psycho’s Haunted Estate or Killer Klowns in 3-D. The cost is $15 for one trail and $5 more for another.

On Fridays and Saturdays through the end of the month, Land of Illusion is open from dark until 2 a.m. and on Sundays from dark until 11:30 p.m. For more information, check out www.thelandofillusion.com.

Another popular place people find haunted trails is Halloween Haunt at Kings Island. This month on Fridays and Saturdays from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., Halloween Haunt offers 13 different haunted trails including the Slaughter House, Cut Throat Cove and Hot Blooded.

This year, Halloween Haunt will also occur on a few Thursdays and Sundays throughout the season from 7 p.m. to midnight. For more information, visit http://haunt.visitkingsisland.com.

Since many things in fall are related to Halloween, people start to dress up in costumes more and more. Whether people are trick-or-treating, attending a party or passing out candy, the chances of needing a costume become much greater.

One longtime business offering costumes is Foy’s Halloween Costume Store, which has more than 100,000 costumes and rentals. Foy’s is such a big deal in Fairborn, there are six Foy’s stores on Main Street in that city, and they’re open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Sunday.

But not everything in the fall has to be scary. “One of my favorite things around this time of year is the weather changing and the leaves falling,” said junior Mady Brahm.

Many people also enjoy pumpkin picking and going to farms, including Hidden Valley Fruit Farm. Located at 5474 North State Route 48 in Lebanon, Hidden Valley also offers hayrides. For $5, you can take a tour of the farm. For $6, you can take a tour of the farm and choose a pumpkin off-the-vine or enjoy homemade cider and a donut to snack on. For $7, you can get a pumpkin and enjoy homemade cider with your donut while on your tour of the farm.

If you’re worried about what all those treats and goodies may do to your waistline, you can work them off at the Kettering Rotary’s Run for Your Life 5K Run and Walk. It will be held at Community Golf Center in Kettering at 6:15 on Oct. 30. The registration cost is $25. The 5K run and walk will begin and end at the golf course, and parking will be available in the Community Golf Center parking lot. Packet pickup will begin at 4 p.m. on Oct. 30 and will last through the race start at 6:15 p.m. For more information and an entry form, go to http://www.rfyl.org/.

Need some more ideas for great fall fun? Try these:

Riverside Jaycees Haunted Castle of Carnage and Trail – 213 Harshman Road. Open Thursdays and Sundays from 8 to 10 p.m., and Fridays and Saturdays from 8 p.m. until the crowd dies. $10 regular admission. Call 937-254-2576.

The Haunted Cave – 4410 Arden Dr., Fort Wayne, Ind. Open Thursdays and Sundays from 7 to 9:30 p.m., and Fridays and Saturdays from 7 p.m. to midnight. $10 regular admission; $13 fast pass. Call 260-436-0213.

The Haunted Cave – Swishers Mill Road, Lewisburg, Ohio. Open Fridays and Saturdays from 7 p.m. until midnight. Admission is $11 adults, $5 children (age 10 and under). Call 937-962-0111.

Halloween USA Costume Store – Various locations in Ohio. For more information, check out http://www.halloweenusa.com/.

Windmill Farm Market – 1454 State Route 73 in Springboro. Open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. and Sundays from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Call 937-885-3965.

One Response to “It’s fall! Get scared, find a costume or take a hayride”

1. Paige Porter on April 22nd, 2010 9:27 pm

I just checked this to see if you had Riverside Jaycees Haunted House on here. You do. I wanted to tell you the address is 2131 Harshman Rd. though and also there’s a could fright nights they have coming up before they change around the house. If you would like those dates you can contact me.

Ok, one more thing. You can volunteer to work at this haunted house. I have two different seasons and it’s amazing. The Riverside Jayteens which are associated with this and many other activities just as fun is also looking for new members.

You can contact me if you need information. I repeat, this is volunteer you do NOT get paid but it’s great on resumes and what not.

Let me know. (: