Local Poetry Out Loud competition coming soon

By Jessica Smith, Staff Writer

Students interested in poetry could have an opportunity to win a $20,000 college scholarship. The National Endowment for the Arts and Poetry Foundation is hosting the 2011 National Poetry Recitation Contest, for which the national contest winner will win the scholarship.

All Fairmont High School students interested in competing can attend an informational meeting Wednesday, Jan. 19, at 3:15 p.m. in Room 130. The Fairmont competition will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 9, at 3:15 p.m. in Room 130, and one student will be selected to go to the state competition, which takes place March 12 at Dominican University in Columbus. The student selected to go to state finals will attend a workshop at Dominican University on Saturday, Feb. 19.

To compete, participants must prepare two poems to recite. These poems must be selected from the official Poetry Out Loud website, Poetryoutloud.org or other online anthologies. Poetry must be recited without the use of props, costumes, amplification or music. The names of the poems and the order in which they will be recited must be turned into the contest coordinator in advance.

For more information on Poetry Out Loud, see Darren McGarvey in room 130 or Penni Meyer in room 218.