Penn’s portrayal of Milk is must-see

By Hannah Bealer, Entertainment Editor

5stars

Sean Penn, known for his assaults on paparazzi and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, deserved every bit of his Best Leading Actor win at the Oscars this year. It doesn’t matter if you’re Republican, Democrat, liberal, or conservative … this movie is an extremely important, historical must-see.

Milk is about the homosexual politician Harvey Milk. Before your political views influence your opinion on this film, please consider this: as far as politics go, I lean to the left. I watched this movie with my mother, who leans to the right. We both loved this film equally.

Penn’s portrayal of Milk is endearing. No matter where you stand or how much you disagree with Milk’s views on gay rights, it’s nearly impossible to not care about him The movie follows Milk, starting at his 40th birthday in 1972. He is a strong activist for gay rights and decides that he could be a stronger influence if he dives into the political campaigns of San Francisco.

Once Milk is elected into office, winning a supervisor seat, he becomes the first openly homosexual man to be in such a position. This leads to several conflicts with other office members including Dan White (Josh Brolin), who obviously holds some resentment for Milk.

The movie presents an all-star cast including James Franco as Scott Smith and Emile Hirsch as Cleve Jones. Milk won two Oscars and was nominated for six, including Best Picture.