‘Amaryllis’ blooms in Shinedown’s top 10

Roadrunner Records

By Brandon Lively, Staff Writer

Music lovers have no shortage of bands and performers from many different genres – rock to pop, rap to country, blues to dubstep – and everything in between. One of my favorite groups is Shinedown, a Florida-based rock band who released an album last year titled Amaryllis.

The newest album is so good, it got me thinking about Shinedown’s body of work. Here are my top 10 favorite songs by Shinedown (and four of them – including my #1 song – are on the new CD).

#10:  .45 from Leave A Whisper, 2003

“Whatever happened to the young man’s heart … swallowed by pain as he slowly fell apart!”

This is a song that takes your heart through a major series of twists and turns. If you’ve ever been hurt, the lyrics will speak to you. The music video for this song just impacts you more.

#9:  Enemies from Amaryllis, 2012

“You started something that you just couldn’t stop … you’ve turned the ones that you love into the angriest mob …”

The music video for this song is definitely one of the best videos that the band has ever made. There is only one thing to say: If you have an “enemy,” listen to this song.

#8:  Second Chance from Sound of Madness, 2008

“I’m not angry; I’m just saying … sometimes goodbye is a second chance.”

This is the goodbye song of the year for Shinedown. This is about a guy looking back on his life (you’ll see that a lot in the band’s songs) and this time, he’s speaking to his family about saying farewell.

#7:  Nowhere Kids from Amaryllis, 2012

“You’ve inspired the birth of ignorance, the death of innocence … guess who’s back and mad as hell … the nowhere kids who wished you well.”

This song made the list as Amaryllis’ heaviest song, but with a traditional Shinedown message: revenge, eye-opening, or just plain rock. This is definitely worth a listen, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they made a music video for this song.

#6:  Sound of Madness from Sound of Madness, 2008

“I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain … somehow I’m still here to explain that the darkest hour never comes in the night! You can sleep with a gun, but when you gonna wake up and fight?”

This is a heavy-hitting rock song that has a good impact. The message in this song: Life can become a little crazy sometimes, but the line “the darkest hour never comes in the night” can give you hope, as the darkest point never comes in the middle of despair. That can be a mixed message, but you can sleep at night and be refreshed for the challenges ahead.

#5:  If You Only Knew from Sound of Madness, 2008

“If you only knew how many times I counted all the words that went wrong/If you only knew how I refuse to let you go even when you’re gone.”

Someone broke up with the narrator and the narrator can’t believe what’s going on. The chorus of the song is deep, and this is one of Shinedown’s few slow songs.

#4:  Adrenaline from Amaryllis, 2012

“My, my, I just can’t lie: it’s the speed and the sound that I’m dying to try! My, my, I just won’t lie: it’s the thrill of the chase that created the ride!”

The opening track to Amaryllis, this is a heavy, fast, traditional Shinedown rock song that gets you moving … or at least, it gets me moving. The chorus says it all: “Bloodshot against a clear blue sky/tick, tock, I think the well is running dry/my, my, I can’t lie: I need a shot again … that sweet adrenaline!’

#3:  Save Me from Us and Them, 2005

“Someone save me if you will, and take away all these pills! Please, just save me if you can from the blasphemy in my wasteland!”

I love this song so much! The narrator is in a lonely place, an insane asylum, and is in another time and place – in his mind. This is another somber song, and this guy, looking back on his life, doesn’t like what he’s done and wants to be saved.

#2:  The Crow & The Butterfly from Sound of Madness, 2008

“Just like a crow chasing the butterfly, dandelions lost in the summer sky…”

This song is a flashback for Brent Smith, the lead vocalist of Shinedown. The song is about somebody looking over his life and singing about what he finds. The lyrics are somber, and it’s one of the band’s softer songs, but with hit-home lyrics.

#1:  Bully from Amaryllis, 2012

“Think it through – you can’t undo … whenever I see black and blue, I feel the past, I share the bruise…”

This song has a message for everybody (bullying is wrong). The song is vintage Shinedown: traditional rock with hit-hard and hit-home lyrics. Their music video will tug at your heartstrings as well. Don’t bully people, please.

Brandon Lively, Staff Writer

Hi, I'm Brandon Lively, a senior this year, and this is my first time on The Flyer staff. I have a lot of writing experience -- unrefined, but there --...