Gamers eager to explore the much-anticipated ‘Last of Us’

Photo: Naughty Dog

"The Last of Us" features Joel, a hardened black-marketer, and Ellie, the teenage girl he's vowed to protect.

By Brad Steel, Staff Writer

When it comes to gaming, my console of choice is the Xbox 360. I usually only bust out my PlayStation 3 for its exclusive games or to watch a Blu-ray. But the developers at Naughty Dog are giving me a reason to wipe the dust off of my PS3 and fire it up to play their upcoming survival-horror game, The Last of Us.

Naughty Dog has been around awhile and has stayed loyal to developing games for PlayStation consoles. Some of its most familiar works are with the old platforming protagonist Crash Bandicoot and later with another platformer franchise for the PlayStation 2, Jak and Daxter. I was a huge fan of both, especially the Crash Bandicoot series, which took the video game industry by storm, selling more than 40 million units by 2007.

Naughty Dog took platforming to the next level when it developed Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, which was considered the “PlayStation 3 Game of the Year” by both IGN and Kotaku (highly respected gaming websites) in 2007. Since then, it’s made two other Uncharted games, and all three together have sold 17 million copies worldwide.

Naughty Dog has decided to take a step away from platforming in its latest project, The Last of Us, which is set for release on June 14, 2013. Despite multiple trailers and gameplay footage, the game has a lot of mystery surrounding it. Taking place in a fictional post-apocalyptic United States, the game focuses on two survivors: Joel, a hardened black-marketer, and Ellie, a teenage girl. The plot is about an outbreak of a branch of cordyceps fungus, which has killed and infected millions of people, turning them into a sort of zombified apparatus. Survivors are stuck in quarantine zones and are under strict supervision by the heavy-handed United States military.

Joel, through a series of events, is bound to a promise made to an old friend to save Ellie from the quarantine zone and its harsh containment regimen. They travel across the United States, avoiding the infected and hostile survivors while trying to evade the military, which for some reason has taken an interest in Ellie.

The setting consists of urban environments that nature has started reclaiming, similar to the film I Am Legend.

The game, set in third person, will have a new element called “dynamic stealth” that Naughty Dog is excited to release. Dynamic stealth is designed to allow a freer form of gameplay. It allows the player lots of options when confronting enemies or solving problems. Each situation will have a different outcome, depending on how you choose to handle it. Along with the gameplay, I expect phenomenal voice acting, which PlayStation and Naughty Dog have been known for in the past.

For those of you with PlayStation 3s, I would be stupefied to think that you would hesitate to purchase this game. For those considering buying a PS3, seriously take the exclusive games such as The Last of Us into consideration when making your decision.

Brad Steel, Editor-in-Chief

This is my second year on The Flyer and my first year as Editor-in-Chief.  I'm a senior and a member of the Offensive Line for THE Kettering Fairmont...