It’s a toss-up … of dough between local pizza joints

Photo: Taylor Meade and Jessica Wuensch

By Brian Cassidy, Staff Writer

A wave of aromas fills the air as a silver platter is carried across the room, and every hungry eye is fixed upon the soaring saucer. The deliverer weaves his way to the table, depositing the treasure onto the table, and silence fills the air. Everyone’s attention is on a pie of vibrant red-tomato sauce and white melted cheese topped with sausage, pepperoni, sweet ripe vegetables and herbs.

A string of hot cheese connects the slice to the pie as I seize the first piece. My mouth is watering and the journey to my face seems to take a lifetime. At last, my mouth envelopes the peak and my teeth sink into the delicious, hot taste of pure Italian.

Of course I am talking about Italy’s own food child, pizza, and how Dayton has taken this classic and given it a home-cooked feel. My editor assigned me the task of bringing Fairmont the low-down on some high-quality, local pizza restaurants, and I jumped at the opportunity. It’s a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

Troni’s Italian Restaurant and Pizza

I began my quest for some scrumptious pizza at Troni’s Italian Restaurant and Pizza, located at 1314 E. Dorothy Lane in Kettering. My choice of pizza was Troni’s Bruschetta Pizza with marinated chopped tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil and olive oil. It was $15 for a 16” pizza and $11 for a 12”. The pizza had a New York-style crust that was very crispy even underneath the pizza, avoiding that awful soggy-pizza taste. There is no red sauce on this specific pizza; instead, cubed ripe tomatoes sit atop the pie.

One thing to remember with Troni’s bruschetta pizza is to bring mints or gum because, although the balance of garlic is perfect, there is plenty of it.

For Troni’s menu, business hours and contact information, click HERE.

Figlio Wood-Fired Pizza

Stop No. 2 on my pizza road trip was Figlio Wood-Fired Pizza, located at 424 E. Stroop Road in Town & Country Shopping Center. Figlio’s uses a wood stove to bake their pizzas, giving them a kind of smoky taste, a rustic addition to the usual flavors. I chose the margheritta pizza, which was similar to the bruschetta pizza I ate from Troni’s.

Figlio’s pizza has a thin crust and it’s cut into triangular pieces, as opposed to the ever-popular square pieces. But whether you cut it into checkerboards, circles or argyle, the captivating taste is unaffected. The pizza had a fresh taste and the tomatoes were very sweet. Figlio’s also offers a create-your-own pizza option, in which the customer starts with an $8 plain cheese pizza with the choice of homemade tomato sauce, pesto sauce, or olive oil and garlic. Additional ingredients vary in price from $1.25 to $2.50.

To view Figlio’s menu, click HERE.

Flying Pizza

My next stop on the road to miraculous, local pizza was at a personal favorite of mine, The Original Flying Pizza at 223 N. Main St. in Dayton. I went for simple this time when choosing my pizza: plain cheese. Flying Pizza offers the choice of buying a whole pizza or individual slices; single slices range from $2.50 to $3, depending on the kind of pizza you order (plain cheese, pepperoni, sausage or vegetables). Whole pizzas start at $12.95.

It had been ages since I last had Flying Pizza’s fine cuisine, and the taste was just as I remembered. Their crust is one of the best I’ve eaten, and Flying Pizza kneads and tosses it right in front of you, so there is no doubt about authenticity. Flying Pizza keeps their ingredients very fresh; the sauce is saucy and the cheese is cheesy. I get the sense of home cooking when I eat their pizza because Flying Pizza is still a true Italian family-owned company that understands that taste is everything.

To see Flying Pizza’s menu and other locations, click HERE.

Milano’s Atlantic City Submarines

A hidden gem for pizza is the Dayton-born submarine house, Milano’s. Established in 1969 as a submarine house way before the popularity of sub sandwiches came about, Milano’s has widened their culinary horizon to subs, calzones, pasta and pizza. Although Milano’s specialty isn’t their pizza, they did not disappointment when it came to quality, taste and presentation. My lunch group and I ordered two pizzas, cheese steak and pineapple.

The cheese steak pizza is exactly what it sounds like. If you were to take the contents of a Philly cheese steak, lay it on a pizza crust shell and then bake it, you would come up with Milano’s cheese steak pizza. It is the perfect combination of sandwich and pizza infused into one mouth-watering, life-changing meal. A base layer of grilled, shredded beef, sweet onions, and green peppers gives the pizza the authentic taste of a cheese steak. After that, a blanket of zesty provolone cheese glues all the pieces together. This pizza contains no actual standard pizza ingredients.

The counter to the spicy cheese steak pizza was the sweet, tropical taste of Milano’s pineapple pizza. The pineapple chunks added a subtle saccharine flavor to the pizza without being overpowering. Milano’s plain cheese pizza underneath all the fruit is still very pleasing with a scrumptious crust and a first-rate cheese-to-tomato-sauce ratio. Milano’s cuts their pizza into little squares as opposed to triangular slices.

To view Milano’s menu, location, and business hours, click HERE.

3 Responses to “It’s a toss-up … of dough between local pizza joints”

1. Tristan Buirley, Abby Lybrook and Alison Dale on February 22nd, 2012 9:47 am

Excuse me, but where are Dewey’s and Marion’s in this story? Both are terrific pizza places special to the Dayton area and both are extremely delicious. They deserve a place in this competition.

2. Abbie West on February 24th, 2012 9:24 am

Dearest Tristan, if Marion’s should be on this list, I think Cousin Vinny’s should be also. It’s also quite special to the Dayton area, and delicious.

3. Mr. Amstutz on March 2nd, 2012 1:02 pm

What about Jet’s? Maybe if you have another rough assignment of sampling pizza places in the area, take a trip over to the Swiss Village and give it a taste.

• It’s a toss-up … of dough between local pizza joints

Barry Bagels’ popularity quickly spreads at new location

Outdated Movie Review: “Full Metal Jacket”

Movie Reviews

Outdated Movie Reviews: Introduction

Video Game Reviews

‘Overwatch’ continues to take over gaming world in 2017

Restaurant Reviews

Cheddar’s restaurant lives up to the expectations

Introducing “The Bird’s Eye” with new teacher coupons; On sale February 3rd

Flyin’ to the Hoop

CD Reviews

Shawn Mendes’ new album doesn’t meet Handwritten standards

Freddy’s doesn’t meet high steak expectations

Look out each week for new quizzes on Trivia Tuesday!