Winter movies fire up big (and small) screens

Winter movies are set to deliver a blast of action this year. Movies include 'Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol' (background), 'Underworld: Awakening' (top left), and 'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance' (bottom right).

By Dakota Miller, Entertainment Editor

With colder weather upon us, Hollywood seems to be offering films with a massive dose of action to warm up rosy-cheeked moviegoers. Plenty of fireballs and shrapnel are sure to be flying right out of the silver screen and right into homes this winter, with new releases as well as some that are nearly ready to slide into the DVD player.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit follows the story of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins in his quests as a young hobbit. An Unexpected Journey is the first part of a two-part movie series for The Hobbit, in which Baggins finds himself in a quest to help defeat the dragon Smaug. This leads to his meeting with Gollum, from whom Bilbo receives the One Ring.

For anyone anxious to see how Lord of the Rings began or just looking for a good fantasy adventure tale, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey should be on the list of “Must Watch.”

Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol

Not quite ready do be disavowed from moviegoer’s minds, Tom Cruise reintroduces super-spy Ethan Hunt to audiences in the newest installment of the Mission: Impossible series. This time around, the MI team makes its way to Moscow, where they must deal with a major terrorist attack, government conspiracies and all the other things that make these movies perfect to watch. If you want to see some massive explosions and espionage galore, make sure you stop into theaters for Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol.  (See Nikki Kelley’s review of Ghost Protocol.)

Underworld: Awakening

For this fourth installment of the Underworld series, Måns Mårlind and Björn Stein team up to direct Kate Beckinsale in her return to the gritty vampires-versus-werewolves series. This time around, it seems that the human race has discovered both the vampires and lycans and is conducting a war to eradicate the races. Will Beckinsale survive the war? Will the humans succeed in their quest to destroy vampires and werewolves alike? You’ll have to stop into theaters to find out.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

In the follow-up to the hit movie Journey to the Center of the Earth, John Hutcherson returns to reprise his role as Sean Anderson. Young Anderson finds himself receiving a distress call from a mysterious island that shouldn’t exist. He and father Hank, played by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, embark on a quest to this mysterious island, to help rescue whoever has sent the call for help. If you’re excited to see more action with extinct predators, survival on islands or just a great family film, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island will be a perfect destination on Feb. 10.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Nicholas Cage returns to the big screen as Johnny Blaze, the motorcycle stuntman and nighttime superhero known as the Ghost Rider. This time around, the devil is seeking to do his deeds through the villain Blackout, a half-demon with superhuman strength and reflexes, as well as the power to remove light near him through the evil powers granted to him by Mephistopheles. This film isn’t out yet, but the buzz is already beginning on the newest installment to the Ghost Rider franchise. Stop into theaters on Feb. 17 to check it out.