Studios dish up a big plate of horror (with a side of romance)

Among the movies coming this fall are "11-11-11" (background), "Breaking Dawn, Part One" (left), "The Thing" (upper right), and "Footloose" (bottom right).

By Dakota Miller, Entertainment Editor

With the harvest season almost upon us, a crop of brand new movies is coming to theaters these next few months. Genres range from horror, with Contagion, to love, with Breaking Dawn, and this fall is sure to be a great season for all kinds of wonderful movies.

Contagion

Horror (released Sept. 9)

Feeding on the horrific world of viruses and disease, Contagion is the first of many horror movies coming this fall. Starring Matt Damon, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Kate Winslet, the film focuses on a community stricken by a lethal disease that kills its sufferers in days. As the Centers for Disease Control fights against both the virus and the panic of the town, the question soon becomes: How will the townspeople survive? This movie is shaping up to be a decent movie to go enjoy – if you’re into those types of movies. Of course, you should expect to find yourself washing your hands a lot more after seeing this flick.

Footloose

Musical (Oct. 14) 

A remake of the classic 1984 film and 1998 premiere on Broadway, Footloose is the story of a young man from Boston named Ren MacCormack who moves into a small town that has forbidden loud music and dancing after a tragic incident that was thought to have been caused by such things. However, Ren decides not to bow to the status quo and challenges the ban, leading to a multitude of musical numbers. Starring Kenny Wormald, Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Miles Teller, this new remake of Footloose will be perfect for musical lovers.

The Thing

Horror (Oct. 14)

A prequel to the 1982 film by John Carpenter of the same name, The Thing takes place three days before the events of the first film, in which an alien is discovered in the far regions of Antarctica. Horror ensues as the alien is discovered to be evil, and the crew must work together to stay alive and survive the monster’s deceptions and attacks. This film stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Dr. Kate Lloyd, a character similar to the 1982 film’s protagonist, R.J. MacReady. Also in the film are Joel Edgarton, Ulrich Thomsen and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. For anyone who is a fan of the original film, or simply a fan of extraterrestrial horror, The Thing is not a film to miss.

Paranormal Activity 3

Horror (Oct. 21)

Just in time for Halloween, Paranormal Activity 3 is a prequel to the first two films, Paranormal Activity and Paranormal Activity 2. The film is speculated to be set 18 years before the events of both films, focusing on the female leads of the first two movies and their childhoods, when they were stalked by the demon that terrifies them in the first two Paranormal Activity films. The film is closely guarded by its producers, and no stars are announced yet. For anyone looking for a very big scare before Halloween this year, Paranormal Activity 3 is a must-see.

11-11-11

Horror (Nov. 11)

Keeping with the horror theme of the fall movie season, 11-11-11 focuses on the horrors of an extraterrestrial presence breaking through the barriers between its world and Earth on the title date of the film – Nov. 11, 2011. The film’s director, Darren Lynn Bousman, has not yet revealed its starring cast, yet it is sure to provide another thrill ride of horror for any and all who choose to buy a ticket.

Breaking Dawn, Part One

Romance (Nov. 18)

Author Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series continues with the movie adaption of her final book in the series, Breaking Dawn. The movie stars the returning Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner and will cover the events in the first half of the popular novel. While this film offers a story of dark love, it may still serve as a break to those who are simply exhausted by the horror films flooding the box office this fall. For those who are in love with the series or simply want to see a romantic film, Breaking Dawn, Part One is a perfect fit.

One Response to “Studios dish up a big plate of horror (with a side of romance)”

1. Evan Barnes :D on September 27th, 2011 2:24 pm

Solid previews for some hopefully solid movies, even if some of them are twilight….

• Studios dish up a big plate of horror (with a side of romance)

Barry Bagels’ popularity quickly spreads at new location

Outdated Movie Review: “Full Metal Jacket”

Movie Reviews

Outdated Movie Reviews: Introduction

Video Game Reviews

‘Overwatch’ continues to take over gaming world in 2017

Restaurant Reviews

Cheddar’s restaurant lives up to the expectations

Introducing “The Bird’s Eye” with new teacher coupons; On sale February 3rd

Flyin’ to the Hoop

CD Reviews

Shawn Mendes’ new album doesn’t meet Handwritten standards

Freddy’s doesn’t meet high steak expectations

Look out each week for new quizzes on Trivia Tuesday!