Top bands set to rock Dayton at X-Fest

Top bands set to rock Dayton at X-Fest

Theory of a Deadman is among the headliners at the 2011 X-Fest in Dayton.

By Rylee Smith, Staff Writer

Picture a concert, loud music, amazing bands, dancing, and a great time getting lost in the music. Now picture that concert on steroids. That’s what X-Fest is.

This annual music festival, hosted by radio station WXEG-FM, returns to Dayton on Sept. 18 at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds.  

For Fairmont fans, the anticipation is growing as the date gets closer. “I’ve gone the past three years and I’m looking forward to this year. Every year just gets better and better,” said junior Sammy Stephens.

Headliners at this year’s event include Staind, Theory of a Deadman, Five Finger Death Punch and Alter Bridge. Also performing are Skillet, Adelitas Way, Kopek, Black Stone Cherry, Emphatic and Downplay. “I’m really looking forward to this year’s line-up; I can’t decide which one I’m more excited for,” said Stephens.

Stained, a metal rock band that formed in 1995, has produced six albums and is most known for the hit song Everything Changes in 2005. Theory of a Deadman had hits with Lowlife (2011) and Bad Girlfriend (2008). This post-grunge, hard-rock band formed in 2001 and has had six top 10 hits.

Five Finger Death Punch formed in 2005, and the band’s heavy-metal, hard-rock sound has made it successful. The band’s biggest hit is The Bleeding (2007). Another hard-rock, heavy-metal band, Alter Bridge, formed in 2004 and the group had a No. 1 hit with Metalingus in 2004.

While X-Fest offers a great music line-up, many fans agree that the festival can get a little out of control especially in the mosh pit. “It gets pretty crazy.  Depending on where you’re standing, you have to watch out for your life,” said Stephens. “One year a crowd surfer fell on my friend and knocked her unconscious; we ended up going to the hospital.”

But Stephens and many other X-Fest enthusiasts won’t let that bother them. Fairmont sophomore Jade Allen agrees that it’s much more fun being in the mosh pit. “I love how the music is so loud you can’t hear yourself screaming,” said Allen, who went a couple of years ago and hopes to go again this year.

Allen also offers advice to anybody who’s thinking of attending. “Dress for the weather. You never know what it’s going to be like,” she said. “Also, go with a group of friends. It’s more fun. And girls: have at least one guy in your group of friends, so creeps will leave you alone.”

General admission tickets (standing room only) for X-Fest are $35, plus the $12.35 fee charged by Ticketmaster. The gates open at 11 a.m. and the music starts at noon. For more information, visit www.xfestdayton.com.