Summer is coming — and so are the popular performers

Photo: Illustration by Sam Robison

Summer is coming and bringing along many performers, including those pictured here: Steve Miller Band, Plain White T's, Taylor Swift and .38 Special.

By Adam Wolfe, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Summer brings plenty of chances to get out of the house and have fun.  The warm weather entices teens to enjoy outdoor activities, and few things are as relaxing as listening to great music — and sometimes hearing it live in the great outdoors. Concert venues have announced their summer lineups with many great concerts planned both indoors and out.

Columbus

Plain White T’s will be making a stop at Newport Music Hall on May 5, 2011. Plain White T’s is a pop rock band that originated in 1997 in Chicago, Ill., and is best known for the song Hey There Delilah, which reached No. 1 in the United States. Other popular songs include Hate (I Really Don’t Like You), which peaked at 68; 1,2,3,4 at 34; and Rhythm of Love, which charted at 38. In 2008, Hey There Delilah also won the band a Grammy nomination. Click here for more information.

Nationwide Arena in Columbus will welcome a mix of country and pop when Taylor Swift performs on June 7. Swift has received widespread success after the release of her multi-platinum self-titled album. Swift was nominated for best new artist at the 2008 Grammy Awards, while her second album Fearless earned Swift four Grammy Awards. In 2008, Fearless and Taylor Swift were charted at No. 3 and No. 6, respectively, and Fearless topped the Billboard 200 for 11 non-consecutive weeks. Click here for more information.

Ray LaMontagne is an American singer/songwriter who quit his job to pursue a career in music after hearing a Stephen Stills song. LaMontagne has now released four albums, including Till the Sun turns Black, which peaked at No. 28 on the Billboard 200 in the United States. Various songs by LaMontagne have been featured in television series and movies, such as Till the Sun Turns Black on the show ER, Lesson Learned on One Tree Hill and Empty on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. LaMontagne will be performing June 11 at the LC Pavilion. Click here for more information.

Cincinnati

CAKE, originally formed in Sacramento, Calif., is an alternative rock band that will be making a stop at Procter and Gamble Hall in Cincinnati on May 19. CAKE’s music is strongly based on John McCrea and his vocal creativity. McCrea uses a half-sung, half-spoken approach that’s combined with lyrical wordplay.

CAKE is a five-man band that had their breakthrough in the late 1990s with the album Fashion Nugget, which produced the band’s highest charted single, The Distance.  The band’s sixth and most recently released album, Showroom of Compassion, was released on Jan. 11, 2011, and was also the band’s first album to make it to No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. Click here for more information.

Iron & Wine will be performing in Cincinnati the month after Cake. Iron & Wine features singer songwriter Samuel Beam, who does vocals, guitar and banjo for his one-man band. On certain occasions, however, Beam will take a full band to his performances.

Iron & Wine has four released studio albums; the most recent one, titled Kiss Each Other Clean, was released on Jan. 25, 2011. Kiss Each Other Clean is Beam’s most popular album, hitting No. 2 in the United States and No. 32 in the United Kingdom. Iron & Wine will perform at Madison Theater across the Ohio River in Kentucky on June 11. Click here for more information.

US Bank Arena in Cincinnati will be hosting Josh Grobanon July 15. Groban is a singer/songwriter who has released four solo albums ranging from pop and vocal to pop rock. Groban originally had studied to be an actor, but as his voice began to change, he realized he could be a successful musician. In 2007, Groban was charted as the best-selling artist in the United States with more than 21 million records sold and more than 24 million records worldwide. Groban’s most recent album, Illuminations, peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard 200 charts. The album has sold more than 1 million copies and is certified as platinum.  Click here for more information.

Journey is going to rock Riverbend Music Center on Aug. 3. Journey was formed in 1973 in San Francisco, Calif. Journey’s most successful period was 1973-1987, before the band temporarily disbanded. The hit Don’t Stop Believin’ made history as the top-selling catalog track in iTunes history. The band has racked up two gold albums, eight multi-platinum albums and one diamond album. They had 19 Top 40 singles, and six of the 19 reached the top 10 in the Billboard Hot 100 chart. To top it all off, USA Today named Journey as the fifth-best American rock band in history. Click here for more information.

Kettering

If you’re unable to travel out of town this summer, that doesn’t mean you have to miss the outdoor music experience. Fraze Pavilion in Kettering is hosting two bands, .38 Special and Steve Miller Band, that will be a blast from the past.

Steve Miller Band was formed in 1967 in San Francisco, Calif. Miller, the band’s front man, not only is the band’s vocalist and plays guitar, but he is also the band’s manager. Steve Miller Band broke onto the popular scene with the release of Space Cowboy and My Dark Hour, which was co-written with Paul McCartney. Steve Miller Band is mostly known for a string of singles in the 1970s that today serve as a paragon of classic rock.

The band has grown such a following over the years that they have their own Hollywood Walk of Fame star and won the Golden Note Award in 2008 from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. Steve Miller Band will be performing at the Fraze Pavilion on June 15.

.38 Special, another classic rock band, was formed in Jacksonville, Fla., in 1975 by a group of neighborhood friends. .38 Special’s music throughout the years has transformed into many varieties of genres, including hard rock, Southern rock and country rock. Many of the band’s breakthrough songs came in the early 1980s with Hold On Loosely (1981), Caught Up in You (1982) and If I’d Been the One (1983).

The band has released 12 studio albums; one has gone gold and three have gone platinum. Three of their album releases have also reached the top 20 chart in the United States. .38 Special will be performing on July 30 at the Fraze.

Visit The Fraze website for more information on both Steve Miller Band and .38 Special.