Holiday fun can be found in numerous places

Teens can enjoy a wide range of entertainment opportunities, including a concert by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, the movie "Faster" starring Dwayne Johnson, the Harlem Globetrotters, or ice skating at Riverscape.

By Adam Wolfe, Arts & Entertainment Editor

It’s here … you know, that fa-la-la-la-la time of the year when you want to find fun things to do with your friends between the trip to Aunt Sally’s for turkey and watching football on New Year’s Day.

Many teens fall back on the usual outings: hanging at The Greene or going to movies. But if you look around and use your imagination, you can find a few more interesting things to work into this busy season. The Flyer has pulled together a few ideas, but we’re sure there’s a lot more to do if you put your mind to it.

Concerts

Nothing can get you into a festive mood more quickly than holiday music. It’s all over the place; it’s on the radio and in concerts everywhere. Many local bands and orchestras are performing their normal concerts this winter, but some also focus on special holiday concerts.

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is one of the most widely known groups that perform popular holiday music. The group annually goes on a winter tour with Christmas-based “rock-opera” type songs. Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s concerts usually blend a mix of a full orchestra sound, a light show, and pyrotechnics all synched together to make one eye-popping experience.  The Trans-Siberian Orchestra will be rocking the US Bank Arena in Cincinnati on Nov. 24. Click HERE for ticket information.

Another large musical group in the Dayton area is the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra.  Although the DPO doesn’t usually hold a Christmas music performance, its shows are still popular around Christmas time. This holiday season, the DPO will host two concerts at the Schuster Center: “Classical Mystery Tour: Music of the Beatles” on Nov. 20 and “Viva Italia,” the group’s New Year’s Concert on Dec. 31.  Click HERE for more information on “Viva Italia” and HERE for more information on the “Classical Mystery Tour.”

Sports

With winter sports getting under way, students can attend a variety of Fairmont contests in basketball, wrestling and swimming. But if you’re looking for something a little different, you might consider an outing to see college basketball.

The University of Dayton Flyers basketball team will return for another season to compete for a top spot in the Atlantic-10 conference and seek a spot in the March Madness tournament. The Flyers will be playing seven home games between Nov. 24 and Dec. 29. Click HERE for the complete Flyer basketball schedule.

The Wright State University Raiders basketball team will compete in five home games from Nov. 23 to Dec. 30. The Raiders have a new head coach this year in Billy Donlon, and the team will be searching for a top spot in the Horizon League conference. The full Raiders basketball schedule can be found HERE.

And even if basketball isn’t exactly your thing, you’ll still likely to have a great time at a Harlem Globetrotters game. When it comes to sports entertainment, the Harlem Globetrotters know what they’re doing. The Globetrotters were created to entertain audiences through exhibition basketball games that combine athletics, comedy, and acting. They’re bringing their show to Wright State’s Nutter Center at 2 p.m. on Dec. 31. Click HERE for ticket information.

Other opportunities

If you’re looking for some fresh air this season and aren’t cold, you can pull the old ice skates out of the closet and head to the outdoor ice rink at Riverscape Metro Park in Dayton. The ice rink will have its grand opening for the year from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 26. The rink was closed last year, but it has been replaced by a new rink that is 50 percent larger than the old one. Holiday music, horse-drawn carriages, and hot chocolate will accompany the skating at the grand opening. For more information on the grand opening as well as regular hours and fees, click HERE.

On Dec. 5-6, Polen Farm in Kettering will host its “Holidays at Polen Farm.” This family-friendly event will include a craft show, carriage rides, a visit with Santa, and much more. Click HERE for more information.

If you’re in the mood for an entertaining Christmas classic, the Schuster Performing Arts Center will host the Dayton Ballet on Dec. 10. The Dayton Ballet will perform the classic Christmas story of The Nutcracker. The ballet tells the story of a prince being turned into a nutcracker because a young German girl dreams of a nutcracker prince who has a fierce battle against a mouse king with seven heads. Click HERE for ticket information.

Movies

During the holiday season, old classic movies such as a Christmas Story come back to the surface, but Hollywood always rolls out a gift basket of new big-screen releases this time of year, too.

Faster is also set to release into theaters on Nov. 24. Dwayne Johnson stars in this film, an action-packed thriller, as Driver. Driver looks to avenge the death of his brother during a bank heist that went wrong. As Driver gets closer to his targets, he also steps into something more dangerous than he realizes.

In the movie Tron Legacy, set to release Dec. 17, a brilliant computer programmer goes missing. His son, Sam, played by Garrett Hedlund, goes on a search for his missing father both in the real and computer world.

True Grit will release on Christmas Day and is a remake of an old western movie. A young girl joins a U.S. Marshal and another person of the law in search of the man who killed her father. The chase gets dangerous, though, when the three are led into hostile Indian territory. True Grit is based on the Charles Portis novel.