Teens aren’t afraid to beg for candy, but options abound

Photo: Tristan Buirley

The American flag waves over Victory Bridge at Tom's Corn Maze, leading visitors to the exit after they piece together the map of the eight-acre corn maze.

By Tristan Buirley, Staff Writer

Young children have long known Halloween as a time of frights and sweets, and this Halloween won’t likely be any different. According to the 2010 Census, there are an estimated 36 million potential trick-or-treaters — kids ages 5 to 13 — ready to dress up and become beggars this week.

However, many of the zombies, vampires and other monsters from years past are also preparing to scare up some candy, despite having grown in both age and size.  

Fairmont sophomore John “Bubba” Harris — who stands 6’ 5” — says he may be going trick-or-treating this year. “I want to hang out with my friends and go out for the candy,” said Harris. “What’s better than that?”

Harris doesn’t think his parents would mind because they still see him as a little kid, though he admits that the people in his neighborhood might think he’s too tall.

Sophomore Gabby Norrod wants to go dressed as a flapper with her best friend Emily Bascom to get candy in her neighborhood. She hasn’t talked to her parents about going trick-or-treating, but when she mentioned the flapper costume, her mom laughed at her. Most of Norrod’s neighbors have little kids who will also be out on Halloween. “I think that my neighbors will think it’s cool I’m going out because I’m 16. Or they’ll just laugh at me,” she said.

Freshman Sarah Conard is also ready to head out on Halloween. She and her mom like to go out and get candy on Halloween. “My neighborhood doesn’t have a lot of other kids my age, so they like to see people going out and trick-or-treating,” said Conard.

However, Biology teacher Mary-Grace Gnau sees Halloween as another holiday that has been taken away from little kids by adults and teenagers. “Most teenagers, at least my daughters, like to dress up for Halloween. I think the candy part is for little kids,” said Gnau.

When her daughters wanted to go trick-or-treating, Gnau would discourage them from going out. However, she knew they wouldn’t do anything stupid, so she would eventually allow them to go. Through the years, Gnau has noticed a rise in the number of high school students heading out for Halloween. She said she remembers fewer teens trick-or-treating when she was a child.

Social Studies teacher Scott Byer also thinks high school students are too old to be going out on Halloween. Byer says he stopped going out after 8th grade, but even then he felt out of place among the younger kids. “I remember on Halloween going up to a house to get candy and there being little 3- or 4-year-olds behind me. I still took the candy but felt that they were more deserving,” he said.

Alternate Halloween activities

Many other places in Ohio are open on and around Halloween for teenagers to enjoy the holiday without begging for candy. In Middletown, the Land of Illusion has haunted trails filled with creeps and haunts ready to scare all visitors. The Haunted Cave in Lewisburg hosts the longest running haunted cave. The cave is full of ghosts, ghouls and bats that overwhelm the pathway, ready to fill visitors with fear as they traverse the route.

For teens who want to go out on Halloween without the fright, many attractions in Ohio offer alternatives. Both Germantown and Bellbrook have corn mazes to get lost in with friends. Tom’s Corn Maze in Germantown is in its 13th season, and its eight acres are mowed in the shape of a pumpkin. Bellbrook’s Adventure Acres has four different mazes in which to wander and a tower from which to view all eight-and-a-half miles of trails. Adventure Acres also has a petting zoo, hayrides and a fire pit to entertain visitors.

It’s hard to resist the appeal of free candy, but there are many other opportunities for teens to have fun on Halloween. If they can’t make it to one of the major attractions, teens could also enjoy spreading the fears and joys of Halloween to younger monsters by passing out candy in their neighborhood.

3 Responses to “Teens aren’t afraid to beg for candy, but options abound”

1. Alena Chapman on October 25th, 2010 7:50 am

Yeah, right. What, we’re teenagers, your point is? We’ve got only roughly 75 Halloweens to experience when we’re alive. Why not take advantage of every single one? My own grandfather, somewhere in his 60’s, still feels like he can go out on Beggars Night. I don’t know how many times we’ve come home to find half-full candy bowls from there being a lack of kids out in our neighborhood. Last year, I trick-or-treated with two 17-year-olds. While there were quite a few old people who were genuinely angry with us, even refusing to give us candy, most people were rather amused by us, our costumes, and the fact we were still willing to get out and have fun. I’ve found that as I’ve gotten older, trick-or-treat has become even more fun. Now I get to go with my friends, and we can cover much more neighborhood. It’s something we’re going to be doing hopefully for the rest of our lives. Your article was actually mildly insulting, to hear that some teachers here at Fairmont have the opinions about it that they have. But I guess I just won’t go to their houses for Halloween.

Mr. Byer Reply:

Alena,
    Your admission that several folks refused to give you candy is evidence of the thoughts/feelings many individuals have of older “tricker-or-treaters.” Though I respect your opinion, I disagree. I understand that students are only teenagers for so long; however, does that mean teenagers should be “tricker-or-treating” when they’re college freshmen/sophomores (18-19 years old)? Eventually, I think many students “grow out of it.” Beggar’s night, in my opinon, is designed for younger “tricker-or-treaters” to experience. Please know that I still have been known to give out candy to older “tricker-or-treaters!” Have a good day!

2. Bev Dalton on March 7th, 2011 9:26 pm

To Ms. Norrod,

I hope you got a lot of candy!

I have enjoyed your Flyer Newsletter.

• Teens aren’t afraid to beg for candy, but options abound

Barry Bagels’ popularity quickly spreads at new location

Outdated Movie Review: “Full Metal Jacket”

Movie Reviews

Outdated Movie Reviews: Introduction

Video Game Reviews

‘Overwatch’ continues to take over gaming world in 2017

Restaurant Reviews

Cheddar’s restaurant lives up to the expectations

Introducing “The Bird’s Eye” with new teacher coupons; On sale February 3rd

Flyin’ to the Hoop

CD Reviews

Shawn Mendes’ new album doesn’t meet Handwritten standards

Freddy’s doesn’t meet high steak expectations

Look out each week for new quizzes on Trivia Tuesday!