A cappella Festival set for Nov. 13 at Fairmont

The award-winning a cappella group Firedrill! will be featured in an evening concert at the end of the A Cappella Festival at Fairmont.

By Andrea Rollert, Features Editor

Fairmont High School will host the third annual A cappella Festival on Saturday, Nov. 13. The daylong event will include performances, workshops and critiques for more than 300 high school students from across the region, followed by a public concert headlined by the Boston-based group Firedrill!

“This began as a concert, then recently became a full festival,” said Fairmont Choral Director Brody McDonald. “We’ve gone from five visiting groups in our first year to 13 in our second year and expect 15 to 20 groups this year.”

Firedrill! won the 2010 Contemporary A Cappella Recording Award for Best Pop/Rock Album for their CD, Sings Without Music, Vol II.  The evening concert will also include Fairmont’s a cappella groups Fusion and Eleventh Hour, along with Tiffin University’s a cappella group, Up in the Air, and vocal percussion loop artist Mister Tim.

Tickets for the 7 p.m. concert are $15 and $10, depending on the seats, and can be purchased at the Fairmont High School Performing Arts Center box office, online at ticketmaster.com or by calling the Fairmont Music Department at 937-499-2647.