‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Photo: New Line

By Dakota Miller, Staff Writer

What do you get when you combine lots of blood-sucking vampires, some mythical twists and one well-dressed Wesley Snipes? The 1998 classic action-horror movie, Blade.

The movie is the tale of a half-vampire, Blade, played by Snipes, who lost his parents at birth, and his mentor, a veteran vampire hunter named Whistler, played by Kris Kristofferson, who has hunted down vampires since they killed his family. The duo hunts down vampires in New York City, teaming up with a human woman named Dr. Karen Jenson, played by N’Bushe Wright, who discovers new ways to defeat the vampire menace.

In this film, the heroes battle against a vampire by the name of Deacon Frost, played by Stephen Dorrf. The evil vampire mastermind plans to bring all vampires under his control. This evil scheme is part of his secret master plan to summon an ancient vampire legend, enslave humanity and destroy Blade in the process.

When I first saw Blade, I thought it was one of the best vampire movies I’d seen in ages. The movie has a firmly established root in the legend of classic vampirism and vampire hunting. However, the film manages to create a more modern vampire-hunter story. Blade takes the old stakes and bows and turns them into silver spikes and shotguns, keeping viewers on the edge of their seats to see what’s next in Blade’s bag of lethal tricks. Combine this with a great techno soundtrack, and you’ve got all the makings of a great two-hour bonanza of vampirism and action that makes for an excellent view.

I didn’t give this movie a perfect five stars for a few reasons. The main reason was the speed and short length of the movie. It went so fast at times that it took a few viewings before I found new plot lines in addition to the major ones. The movie doesn’t seamlessly integrate the action and slow parts, where the major key plot points and dialogue converge.

All in all, this movie is a great vampire flick for anyone looking for a vampire action movie from a separate vein than movies such as the Twilight series. If you’re looking for a movie that doesn’t quite fit into the rigid horror or action genres, but you’re not looking for another “Sparkle Fairy Chick Flick” like Twilight, check out Blade. If you’re looking for a movie that uses a more classic model of vampirism legend instead of newer, romantic, “teenage” movie, then Blade is definitely the movie for you. 

QUALITY – 4/5

LENGTH – 4/5

CHARACTERS – 5/5

TIMELESSNESS – 5/5

AVERAGE – 4/5

5 Responses to “‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest”

1. Kyle Kessler on September 17th, 2010 5:43 am

“Blade” is one of the greatest vampire movies of all times, in my opinion, and easily surpasses any of the “Twilight” films.

2. Mr. McGarvey on September 24th, 2010 2:26 pm

I’ve not seen the movie Blade, but after reading Dakota’s review, I will definitely be putting it in my Netflix cue! Nice job, Dakota!

3. Kerri Ebright on September 29th, 2010 8:59 am

Blade was definitely a good twist on an old standby. Personally, I also like the fact that, unlike many ‘series’ movies, Blade II and Blade III were progressively better and more interesting, when they could have been mediocre and still gotten “over” riding on the success of the first movie. In Blade III, with the addition of Ryan Reynolds’ sense of humor, it made for an interesting counterpoint to Blade’s no-nonsense demeanor. Very well written, Dakota!

4. Benjamin Morgan on October 1st, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks, Dakota, for telling everyone about the greatest vampire movie of all time. Twilight is like tellytubbies compared to this movie and is about as childish, too. I hope you can pick another awesome movie again.

Carl Brinegar Reply:

Blade is one of the best vampire movies of all time. Twilight doesn’t have anything on Blade.

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Barry Bagels’ popularity quickly spreads at new location

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Outdated Movie Review: “Full Metal Jacket”

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Movie Reviews

Outdated Movie Reviews: Introduction

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Video Game Reviews

‘Overwatch’ continues to take over gaming world in 2017

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Restaurant Reviews

Cheddar’s restaurant lives up to the expectations

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Introducing “The Bird’s Eye” with new teacher coupons; On sale February 3rd

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Flyin’ to the Hoop

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

CD Reviews

Shawn Mendes’ new album doesn’t meet Handwritten standards

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Freddy’s doesn’t meet high steak expectations

• ‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest

Look out each week for new quizzes on Trivia Tuesday!

‘Blade’ is still a cut above the rest