‘We Have Cause to Be Uneasy’ creates anything but uneasy emotions

By Dexter Carpenter, Design Editor

Lately, I have been heavily under the spell of folk, indie rock. This is a big step for me in my musical maturity because I am very narrow-minded in my taste of music. With this being said, I am in love with Wild Sweet Orange and they have easily become one of my favorite bands.

There is something about the way lead singer Preston Lovinggood puts his words around the verses and choruses that seems perfect. His voice ranges from soft spoken, smooth, soothing melodies to angst filled, aggressive tones within several seconds (Tilt). Lovinggood is brutally honest about American culture and suburban childhood throughout the album, when he sings, “oh did they think we wouldn’t grow up / did they think we couldn’t throw back up that sour milk they been pouring down out throats” (Sour Milk).

For the most part, Wild Sweet Orange doesn’t get aggressive via heavy guitar tones or loud drum parts. However, I may note that House of Regret and Either/Or fuse together simple rhythms and complex lead guitar lines, while successfully incorporating perfect lyrics and metaphors. The lead guitar riff in Either/Or will stick in your head for days upon end (not to mention the lyrics).

While most songs include all of the basic band instruments, several tracks (Sour Milk, Night Terrors, and Land of No Return) are stripped down to acoustic guitar and vocals. Lovinggood also does a spectacular job of incorporates religious references into the album as well as on the initial track Ten Dead Dogs, where he asks, “And oh my God, is this really what you want? / Would you tell us if it’s not? / and could you rewrite the plot and come and get us?” 

We Have Cause to Be Uneasy is one of the most solid albums of the decade. It still has not lost my attention and has not left my CD player. The more I dig into the lyrical content and the soft spoken melodies, the more I appreciate the beauty that is Wild Sweet Orange.