BD’s Mongolian Grill sends your taste buds on vacation

Photo: Dani Schaaf

By Justin Miles, Entertainment Editor

Chef Gordon Ramsay is one of the world’s top chefs. He’s been on numerous television shows turning fast food cooks into gourmet chefs, and he’s saved poor, dirty diners from the brink of bankruptcy. His restaurants have been acclaimed for having some of the best food on the planet. However, the food that you can find there is only second to the food you can find at BD’s Mongolian Grill.           

Between the diversity of the food, the exquisite quality of the food and how extremely unique the concept is, BD’s Mongolian Grill, located at The Greene in Beavercreek, will keep you coming back time after time.

BD’s is sort of a buffet, meaning you get to go up to a long line of deliciousness and get whatever food you want. The buffet features three stations — one each for noodles and meat, vegetables and the ever-important sauces, and at this point the food is raw. You can put whatever you want into one bowl all for the same price. Then you approach the cooking station, where they stir-fry your meal in about a minute.

To help become more prepared for this experience, I’ve put together an outline of what I usually do at BD’s.

When I arrive, the waiter will ask if I’ve been here before, and then I become grossly upset that he doesn’t recognize me.

I walk up, grab a bowl and my mouth begins to water. At the first station, I begin by putting noodles in my bowl that make it appear to be full, but believe me, this is an optical illusion, there’s plenty of room.

Then, while still at the first station, I add meat (typically chicken, some type of steak, and whatever adventurous third type I want) to my bowl. The more the merrier when it comes to meat in this case. By the time I get done with this stage, I should have a mountain of meat on top of my bowl.

Next, the tricky part: vegetables. To balance out the meal, vegetables are a necessity, but putting them on top of everything is tough. So between finding a crevice to put broccoli in or just dumping everything on and seeing what sticks, the vegetables stage takes the most time. In addition to the broccoli, baby corn, carrots and potatoes are among my favorites.

Then, I take the black cup and fill it with my favorite sauce until it is overflowing. I typically get Kung Pao and load it up in a cup. All of the effort I have expended is worth it. Also, an adventurous choice is to include jalapenos for an extra kick.

The last thing I do is walk to the chefs, who begin to cook my food in front of me … I repeat, MAKE MY FOOD IN FRONT OF ME. They stir-fry it right there, while you watch in awe as they joke around, pull off cool tricks and prepare your meal to perfection.

People try to say that it isn’t a good value, but for just an extra $3, you can have as many bowls as you want and even some to take home. (But, if you go there enough, you probably know that one bowl should last you about three days.)

Once you have tasted the amazing sizzle of BD’s, you’ll go back time after time and curse every other restaurant on the planet.

This restaurant is great for any Saturday night date, a night out with friends or even a quiet night alone. BD’s Mongolian Grill is as close to perfection as perfection gets.