As Tall As Lions live up to their name

By Dexter Carpenter, Design Editor

4stars

I needed something new. I needed something fresh. After some suggestions from friends, I decided to give the latest As Tall as Lions album, You Can’t Take It with You, a chance.

I had never really heard any music from ATAL, but I was impressed with what I heard. This band worked very hard to produce their third album (they went through three producers before finding the right one) and it doesn’t disappoint. The album starts strong with a stomp/clap anthem called Circles. The rhythm is fast-paced and creates a feeling of motion within your mind. The songs called The Narrows and We’s Been Waitin’ find ATAL at their most artistic level, mixing megaphone vocals with thick, electronic beats.

The title track, You Can’t Take It with You, is the most memorable track on the album. It starts with an Egyptian, melodic guitar line that turns quickly into a slow beat that is reminiscent of Radiohead. Go Easy (See the Love) is the sing-along on the album as lead singer Dan Nigro chants, “I need you to see the love, see the love, see the love we had.”

My personal favorite track is Duermete, a soft, laid-back song that emphasizes falsetto vocals and off-beat drum/bass hits. I’d recommend this album to anyone who enjoys pop, blues, alternative or rock music. There is something for everyone on You Can’t Take It with You.

SOUNDS LIKE: Copeland, Radiohead and Lydia