The Ball is in Hall’s … college court

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Ball is in Hall’s … college court

By Kaylee Anstaett, Fairmont Life Editor

Seniors have started to announce what colleges they plan to attend in the fall. For high school students who do not play sports, they have to worry about getting good grades and perfecting their scores on the ACT/SAT in order to get accepted and to receive scholarships.

For star athletes, being a great athlete can help them get into college and to get more scholarships.

College coaches will find athletes that they want, whether the athlete wants to be found or not. Not only do athletes who are looking to continue their sport at the collegiate level have to find a school that they will be able to succeed at academically, they also have to find a school where they think they can succeed athletically.

Athletes may have in mind where they want to go to school, but college coaches will reach out to them and try to persuade them in their college choice. Senior varsity football and basketball player Ryan Hall has made a name for himself in the Kettering community for leading the Firebirds during the basketball and football seasons.

For basketball, he was named MVP of Machens Classic Tourney (Missouri), was named to the Flyin’ to the Hoop All-Tournament Team, was named GWOC National Player of the Year and has out dueled several Division I college-commit players on the field and court. He was also ranked 8th in GWOC in scoring.

The question everyone has been asking Hall now that he is in his second semester of his senior year and now that basketball season is over, is where he will be going to school and what sport he will be playing next fall.

Hall has caught attention from Division I, Division II and NAIA schools. He has the options to go to many different schools, but he only has until May 15 to decide, which is the last signing day for basketball players.

For most colleges, perspective students have to notify the colleges by May 1 if they will be attending in the fall or not. However, that does not stop college coaches from constantly contacting recruits until the May 1 deadline.

“I get asked all the time, like multiple times a day, where I will be going to college,” Hall said.

Senior year is supposed to be full of creating lasting high school memories, not the annoying pressure of college recruiters. Always being contacted by colleges takes the focus away from seniors trying to enjoy their last few months of high school.

“I like colleges contacting me, but not too much. If they get too much in my business, then that makes me nervous,” Hall said.

When deciding what college to attend, athletics plays a big part in many student-athletes decision. However, the athletic part of a college is not the only reason to choose a school.

Taking a visit to a college is the best way to determine if the college would be best. Coaches may make their school sound great, but it ultimately comes down to how the athlete feels about the school.

“If the college has a bad culture and if I didn’t feel comfortable being there, I wouldn’t pick it. I want a loving, caring, family atmosphere,” Hall said.

However, college coaches can certainly do their part in making an athlete feel welcome and invited on their campus. Showing an athlete attention and praising their skills on the court or field is definitely part of the recruiting process.

“In the way of choosing a school, if a recruiter recruits me better than other schools, I might be more interested in that school,” Hall said.

Senior athletes have a lot of added pressure during their senior year with trying to finish up a great high school athletic career, trying to maintain their GPA and also having coaches constantly contacting them.

The best thing athletes can do to end their athletic career on a strong note is to enjoy their last few games as a high school athlete with their coaches and teammates.

“Finishing a great high school career is not that difficult just because the people that surround me and care for me, they want to see me do good and our team works together,” Hall said.