Haters continue to hate, Steph continues to dazzle

By Jeff Allen, Sports Editor

Unanimous – fully in agreement; held or carried by everyone involved.

Every year since 1980, a group of some of the most educated basketball minds gather to vote on who deserves each coveted NBA award. The ultimate incentive for any player is the ever prestigious Most Valuable Player award.

Since this group of sportswriters, broadcasters, and media members have been selected to decide who receives these honors, there hasn’t been one time where all 130 members of the panel have agreed upon the winner.

Until just last season.

Stephen Wardell Curry was named the first unanimous MVP in NBA history in 2016, and anyone that keeps up with the league, already knows this. Which boggles my mind, because I still on a consistent basis hear absurd comments on how this figure of greatness is “just not good” and “all he can do is shoot.”

If anyone possesses either opinion, then I’m sorry, but you however are just an imbecile or a Cleveland fan. (Which in a lot of cases are the same thing)

Every last person that is even slightly educated in the game of basketball, knows about the acclaimed baby-faced assassin. They know about the chef. They know about the back to back to back to back to back seasons leading the NBA in three pointers made. Curry, in company with King James, Westbrook, and KD, is apart of a group of players that are headlining our generation and representing jaw-dropping talent we’ll never see again.

For example, there’s been no other player in the history of the NBA that you had to worry about as soon as he crossed half court. Curry’s talent is hard to even fathom, and I think that’s why ignorant basketball fans have trouble with understanding just how amazing he truly is.

If you think he is “just not good,” I don’t even have the breath to waste on defending that. Curry has won the MVP for two straight years and some of the plays he’s made during this amazing run have been blowing minds, and will be awed at for years to come.

If you think “all he can do is shoot,” then you have not watched him in a game. Steph isn’t just a shooter, he’s a menace throughout any contest. If Curry doesn’t have the ball, he’s constantly moving, slashing through the defense, shuffling and blowing by screens, relentlessly trying to make something happen. When he does get the ball, he’s one of the best ball handlers and pin point passers the NBA has. Whether it’s making Chris Paul lose his footing, or a behind the back pass from the ground, Curry always seems to amaze with both of those attributes.

It blows my mind how he has continuously showcased those skills and they still at times appear to be overlooked. Curry hasn’t averaged under 6.5 assists since his third season in 2011.

Also flashing defense as a skill, Curry often gets criticized for his efforts on the other side of the ball which is confusing because in the last three years, he’s averaged 1.99 steals a game and has totaled the most. One of the best thieves in the game, Curry utilizes his quick reflexes to make up for elite strength and why defense isn’t his best attribute, there’s no evidence found to suggest he’s an incompetent defender.

Perhaps my favorite hack on the Davidson product is that since superstar, Kevin Durant, has emerged in Golden State after the mega move, Curry has been having a “down season.”

Rumors of this critique quickly spread through the media after Durant was injured and Steph opened up the month without his latter superstar in the midst of a seven game slump. How laughable the matter is goes without saying.

No one can tell me anyone who has never gone through a rough patch of games, as the cliche and Hannah Montana hit states, “nobody’s perfect.” Curry took the slump on the chin, averaging 25.9 points per game, shooting 41% inside the arc, and 30% from outside it. Basically a Westbrook-esque stretch of poor scoring efficiency except OKC’s star muffles it with a triple double.

However he answered the criticism in a Steph Curry-type way. For the next eight games in the month of March, he averaged 25.1 points per game, shooting 49% from the field and 46% from three. While Curry’s play was “down because of losing KD,” he averaged more assists, more steals, and more rebounds than he has all season. If anything, losing Durant’s services for a month and a half lifted his play.

If there’s one thing I want everyone to get out of this article, is to not take watching Curry for granted. We’re watching the best shooter who has ever lived.

With his eighth regular season behind him, Curry has made history in so many different ways. He broke the record for most three pointers in a season, then two seasons later broke his own record, and then the year after that he completely shattered his own record once again, pulling off a feat that five years ago, people could not fathom. 400 threes.

402 to be exact but the point is driven home, and if it’s not, think of this: That’s like hitting a hundred home runs. Unbelievable.

This season marks the fourth time he’s eclipsed the mark of 269 set by Ray Allen in 2005, which was the record until Curry “stephed” in. He finished with 324 this year which would be an aweing number … if it wasn’t the chef.

This season also marks the eighth time in a row in his eight years Steph has shot over 40% outside the arc. Here’s the list of all the people who have done that:

1. Steph Curry

That’s it.

He holds the record for most seasons in a row with over 40% from three. The only two people who have come close to that are Kyle Korver and fellow splash bro, Klay Thompson. Korver having the tremendous stretch from 2010 to 2016, and Thompson hasn’t missed a season over 40 since the beginning of his career, accomplishing the feat all six seasons.

Hint the duo’s name, “Splash Brothers.”

Curry keeps shocking the world, season by season. This year he finished with 25.3 points, 6.6 assists, 4.5 rebounds, and 1.8 steals per game. Of course the tremendous stat line was covered up by his peers filling up the box score but Steph affects the game in too many ways to keep track of just by statistics.

As the Warriors take on the championship or bust expectations, they do so with momentum, coming off a fresh sweep of the Portland Trail Blazers.

Curry has embodied playing with all three of his All-Star teammates, but yet still remains the identity of the free-wheeling, three launching, fast paced Warriors. He has established himself as the face of the NBA’s current dynasty, and has etched his name in the Golden Gate Bridge forever.
Unanimously.