Girls’ Basketball comes out on top

By Brad Steel, Staff Writer

The Fairmont Girls’ Varsity Basketball team finished their incredible season with a State Championship over rival Twinsburg on March 16, 2013. The Firebirds won 52-48.

The Lady Firebirds season ended with 27 wins and 1 loss. After their 3rd consecutive trip to the State Finals, the girls were finally able to bring the State Trophy back to Kettering.

For Senior Alona Skipper this was a relief.

“Winning a State Championship is an awesome feeling,” said Skipper. “It felt great to get this win, and felt even better finally getting it over Twinsburg.”

The win gives Fairmont its first-ever State Championship in the sport. Head Coach Tim Cogan offered some insight on how it feels to win the championship after many years of hard work.

“A major factor in our success this season was that we believed in each other through good and bad times,” said Cogan. “The girls’ work ethic throughout the season was outstanding.”

With key wins for the Firebirds occurring against Mason in overtime for the Regional Semifinals and GWOC rival Centerville in the Regional Finals, the Firebirds’ hard work and belief put them in position to bring home the big prize. Fairmont’s only loss had come at the hands of Centerville earlier in the season, so the rematch was especially intense.

The Fairmont girls capitalized in the State Final game against Twinsburg with strong showings from the whole team. Junior Makayla Waterman scored 24 points, including 10 for 11 from the free-throw line. Junior Kathryn Westbeld had 13 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in the win.

“This was a great way to end my high school basketball career,” said Skipper. “I’m going to miss my basketball family.”

The team awards were: Most Improved: Chelsea Welch; Most Valuable Player: Kathryn Westbeld; Be Positive Award: Makayla Waterman; Sportsmanship: Shea Morgan; and Coaches Award: Danielle Newell.