Varsity Tennis team kicks off season with high hopes

Senior Nathan Bare warms up in an open gym on the Fairmont tennis courts. (Photo Credit: Lindsay Breslin)

By Jared Bergstrom, Sports Writer

The Fairmont Boys’ Varsity Tennis team will open its 2013 season with a home meet against the Chaminade Julienne Eagles on Thursday, April 4. The coaches and team members are ready to get started on improving on last year’s 4-15 finish.

This year’s team boasts 18 players, including five lettermen: seniors Nathan Bare, Trevor O’Hara and Adam Wolfe, and sophomores Sully O’Hara and Ian Steiner. Bare, Trevor O’Hara and Wolfe are the captains for the team.

The team began practicing back on March 11. As their first meet approached, coaches and players alike were looking forward to the new season.

“I feel that returning players should play well, and a couple of talented new additions should create a great overall team,” said longtime Head Coach Tim Voegeli.

Voegeli’s coaching staff features assistant coaches Diane Bendel, Rex Raderstorf and Matt Hughes, a Fairmont teacher who joined the coaching staff this spring.

Hughes is excited about being a first-year coach. “The boys are a lot of fun, and the rest of the coaches are a joy to work with,” he said. “I have a very positive outlook for the boys’ season. I think that the overall team looks really good for the season.”

Last year, the boys were 1-4 in the GWOC, but there were bright spots, and one of those was Silver Flight Tournament. In singles, 9 Firebirds won, 9 finished second, and 11 finished in third place. In doubles play, the Firebirds had 8 first-place finishers and 6 second-place finishers.

In addition to the returning lettermen, this year’s team features seniors Brian Cassidy, Tim Garwood, Scott Hartmann, Saleh Hindi and Abhijit Kumbhani. Juniors on the team are Ojimago Agada, Ethan Geiger, Sean Nouv and Daniel O’Brien. Sophomore Brandon Hosford and freshmen Daniel Bendel, Anthony Bucenski and David Singer round out the team.

Bare is ready for the upcoming season. “It’s going to be a tough season. We’ll all go out and work hard and do our best,” he said. “I can’t wait make Fairmont proud.”