Fairmont Cross Country wraps up season

Fairmont's cross country team has a pep-talk prior to their races in the Springboro Invitational

Photo: Sam Barton

Fairmont’s cross country team has a pep-talk prior to their races in the Springboro Invitational

By Kerrianne Ryan, Staff Writer

The Fairmont Boys’ Cross Country team finished their season placing 13th at GWOC and 7th at Districts. Senior Ben Gilbert was the first Varsity Firebird to cross the finish line consistently for the team, followed by senior Max Ducharme, senior Kevin Whaley, sophomore Matthew Kitze, sophomore Joshua Schnipke, freshman Daniel Bendel and sophomore Harrison Webb.

“With several talented underclassmen on the team, we will come back each year more and more competitive as these runners develop,” said Coach Erica Perkins.

The Fairmont Girls’ Cross Country team ended their season well, placing 9th in both the GWOC and at Districts. “The girls had a successful season as every member of the girls’ team improved from beginning to end of the season, some as much as two and a half minutes,” said Perkins.

Freshman Rachel Sleppy led the Varsity Firebirds, followed by junior Rylee Smith, senior Brandi Kenrick, sophomore Thao Le, senior Rachel Herman, sophomore Katie Loch and sophomore Madisun Jordan.

At the Cross Country banquet, the following awards were presented: Most Valuable Player: Ben Gilbert and Rachel Sleppy; Most Improved: Harrison Webb and Rachel Herman; Sportsmanship: Kevin Whaley and Brandi Kenrick; and Coach’s Award: Max Ducharme and Rylee Smith.