Boys’ Soccer team ends solid season with loss in Sectional finals

The fairmont Firebirds Boys' soccer team huddles up before one of their games (Photo By: Alona Skipper).

The fairmont Firebirds Boys’ soccer team huddles up before one of their games (Photo By: Alona Skipper).

By Alona Skipper, Staff Writer

The Fairmont Boys’ Varsity Soccer team lost to Xenia in the Sectional finals to finish their season with a record of 12-5-2. Despite the loss, the seniors were satisfied with their performance this year.

“Even though we didn’t have the outcome we wanted, I thought we fought hard all season,” said senior Captain Damian Hughes. “We definitely proved a lot of people wrong. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of people to spend my four years atFairmont High School with.”

The boys had a successful season with many players getting recognized. Seniors Damian Hughes and Kyle Mellon were named First Team All-GWOC; seniors Adam Wolfe and Aaron Smith were named Second Team All-GWOC; and senior John Beeson and junior Niko Infanto earned Special Mention.

“It was a great honor to be named Second Team All-GWOC,” said Smith. “I feel blessed that I got the chance to spend my last year with this group of people.”

The 2012 team awards were: Most Improved: Aaron Smith; Most Valuable: Adam Wolfe; Sportsmanship: EJ Sanford; and Coaches Award: Adan Salguero.