Firebird Varsity Football improves, despite their record

Photo: Jared Bergstrom

Head Coach Andy Aracri instructs some of his players during a game.

By Jared Bergstrom, Sports Columnist

The 2012 Fairmont Varsity Football team finished with a 2-8 record. But in several of the games they lost, the Firebirds had been in the lead and came close to victory.

“The 2012 Fairmont football team was a team that was a very close unit that truly focused on building trust within each other and always doing everything they could to rebuild and restore pride in the tradition rich Fairmont football program,” said Head Football Coach Andy Aracri.

The Firebirds had big wins over the Miamisburg Vikings, 41-21, and the Springfield Wildcats, 38-13. The Firebirds also had nail-biting games this year, which included losses to cross-town rival Alter Knights, 42-35, the Centerville Elks, 17-13, the Northmont Thunderbolts, 26-24, the Wayne Warriors, 23-13, and then senior night 11-0 to the Beavers of Beavercreek.

“This senior class is going to be missed. They have put in a lot of effort and work to change the culture in our locker room and have left our underclassmen with a strong foundation that will allow them to take the next step and turn the corner as a program,” said Aracri.

The 2012 Firebirds boasted six GWOC Scholar Athletes (3.2+ GPA). They are seniors Remington Foor, Deven Gannon, Logan Holbrook, Jordan Lealos, Danny Sales and Tom West.

Several team members earned GWOC honors. Named to the First Team were senior defensive back Robert Nsenga, senior defensive back Aaron Abbott and junior wide receiver Aron Sutton. Players named to the Second Team were senior quarterback Tom West, senior defensive lineman Gai Bukshul, senior linebacker Chris Rhoades, junior offensive lineman Jean Nsanzimana, and sophomore defensive back Alec Fontaine. GWOC Special Mention went to senior defensive lineman Wesley Qualls.

Team awards were: Best Offensive Back: junior Aron Sutton; Best Offensive Lineman: junior Brad Steel; Best Defensive Back: senior Aaron Abbott: Best Defensive Lineman: senior Wesley Qualls; Sportsmanship Award: junior Tanner Woodside; Coaches Award: senior Danny Sales; and MVPs: seniors Tom West and Robert Nsenga.