Field Hockey team members earn honors after 7-8-1 season

Photo Credit: Lindsay Breslin

By Daulton Cooper, Sports Editor

In their last game of the season, the Fairmont Varsity Field Hockey team lost to St. Ursula Academy, 2-0, in the first round of the Ohio State Field Hockey Tournament. That loss meant the girls finished the 2012 season with a record of 7-8-1.

Although their season ended earlier than they planned, the girls still enjoyed the ride. The team featured seven seniors who knew it was their last year. The seniors are: Brittany Russell, Cari Pierce, Jessica Bertke, Katherine List, Kaylee Reynolds, Mary Murdock and Jessie Fry.

“The season overall went well,” said Russell. “I think varsity could have gone farther in our tournaments, but I am proud of our performance.”

The girls earned a number of accolades from the season. Jessica Burke and Mary Murdock were named to the First Team for South West Ohio Field Hockey League, while Kaylee Reynolds and sophomore Olivia Davis were named to the Second Team. Christy Wright earned an Honorable Mention.

Meanwhile, several Firebirds were named Ohio Field Hockey Coaches Association Academic All-Ohio. They were: Jessica Bertke, Katherine List, Mary Murdock, Erica Coffee, Mary Shampton, Libby Bare, Olivia Davis, Paige Johnson, Rachel Gaines and Christy Wright.

Jessica Bertke, Mary Murdock, and Kaylee Reynolds were named Ohio Senior Alls-Stars.

The following team awards were presented at the end of the year: Offensive Player of the Year: Olivia Davis; Defensive Player of the Year: Jessica Bertke; Sportsmanship Award: Katherine List; Coaches Award: Christy Wright; Most Improved: Mary Shampton; and Most Valuable: Mary Murdock.