Fairmont’s new AD realizes the community’s support

Fairmont Athletic Director Chris Weaver leaving a message for one of his clients.

Photo: Lindsay Breslin

By Jared Bergstrom, Staff Writer

Chris Weaver, Fairmont’s new athletic director, ought to know a thing or two about what makes a good team. And he says he’s joined a great team because of the support Fairmont athletics receives from the entire community.

“What has impressed me the most is the great people that are here,” he said. “They care about the kids and they care about the programs.”

Weaver brings nine years of athletic department experience to the Fairmont job. Right out of college, he went to work as the director of Sports Marketing for Wright State, his alma mater. “Working for a Division 1 mid-major college right out of college really was a great and unique experience,” Weaver said.

From Wright State, Weaver went on to become athletic director at Walnut Hills High School in Cincinnati. From there, he became athletic director at Talawanda High School in Oxford, a position he held for six years.

Weaver says he’s pleased to have landed the job as athletic director for Fairmont. “Fairmont is a tremendous school district,” he said. “It is one of the top school districts in the state of Ohio, not only in enrollment, but in academics and, of course, we have had our good luck in our athletic programs as well.”

But beyond the numbers, Weaver is impressed by the people in the community. “As I said to the Rotary Club, I think what makes this place so special is all the people. You can have great facilities, you can even have great uniforms, but if you don’t have great people, then you are not going to be very successful,” he said.

The challenges of the job

So how much pressure rides on being an athletic director?

“School levies across Ohio are failing, which unfortunately puts districts in positions to have to cut positions and transportation, raise fees, etc.,” Weaver said. “So I think that the most challenging part about this role is the pressure you feel that you have to do it all. There are certainly expectations and standards that our parents, community, administration and our athletes have of us.”

But Weaver, a husband and father of two, realizes he needs to keep balance in his work and personal life. “At the end of the day, there’s only so much time that you have, and you can’t do it all in one day,” he said. “You just work hard at managing your time, prioritizing your objectives and staying balanced.”

Weaver pointed to family photos on his office wall. “I’m fortunate to have a great position, and if I wanted to, I could stay here around the clock and still feel like I haven’t gotten it all done,” he said. “But it’s not what I live for; I live for my family, raising my two kids to show them what a good father I can be.”

But Weaver does have goals at Fairmont. “My goal is to make sure that the kids come first,” he said. “If we can impact one or two kids every day, every week, every game, that’s when we know whether or not we’ve been successful.”

Still finding his way

With the size of Fairmont, Weaver said he found himself lost a time or two in the beginning. “Heck, I don’t even know where all my keys go yet,” he said, laughing. “I’m standing before doors hoping that I have the right key on there just so I can get into my office.”

Keys aside, Weaver seems comfortable with his new position at Fairmont. “It’s a destination job; a lot of teachers, a lot of coaches, a lot of families, they want to be in this district because of its great programming, and so I’m excited to be here because I get to become a part of that.”

And the new athletic director has no plans to move on anytime soon. “I’m looking forward to staying at Fairmont for a long time,” he said.