Boys’ VB overcomes inexperience to succeed, set records

Boys' VB overcomes inexperience to succeed, set records

Photo: Cole Cavanah

Junior Cameron Neiheisel leaps to return the ball for Fairmont’s Boys’ Varsity Volleyball team.

By Brian Cassidy, Staff Writer

The Fairmont Boys’ Varsity Volleyball team made great headway in 2012, despite the number of rookie players featured on the team. The varsity team had added six new guys to the lineup, but the the team overcame the inexperience to finish with a 16-10 record.  In addition, the team broke six Fairmont records for volleyball.

One of the team’s greatest accomplishments this season was a victory against Mt. Vernon, which was ranked 8th in the state.  Another triumph for the boys was playing to the fifth game in a five-game match against Centerville. Although the boys didn’t win the entire match, they showed great effort and persistence agains a big rival.

In every season, regardless of the sport, it is always a goal to be the best possible, both as a team and as an individual. This season, Boys’ Varsity Volleyball broke multiple school records.

Sophomore Jake Roemer set three records — most assists  in a match at 58, in a season at 886, and in a career at 1,542. Senior Vince Sant broke the record for the most kills in a single season, having a grand total of 345; of those, 29 came in the match against Lakota East. The final record breaker this season was junior Brad Jones, who set a record for most digs in a single match with 26 digs versus Hamilton. He also set a record for the most digs in a season at 286.

Head Coach Bill Buirley is proud of his team. “I am very happy with how the year ended up, as well as a little surprised because we had such a new group of guys,” Buirley said. “However, I think we amazed the fans this season with our talents as a team.”

The boys concluded their season on May 17, 2012, in the second round of tournament against Lakota West. The team banquet was held on May 23, and the seasonal awards were announced. The winners were: Most Valuable Player: Vince Sant; Most Improved Player: junior Cameron Neiheisel; Sportsmanship: Brad Jones; and Coaches’ Award: senior Jacob Roalef.

Jones joined the varsity team this year as a junior, having played for the JV team his first two years. “I could not have asked for a better season,” he said. “All the guys worked well together, and I broke a school record. That doesn’t happen every day, so I am very happy with this season and can’t wait for next year.”