Lady Firebird Softball darts to first and sets sights on home

By Brian Cassidy, Staff Writer

Fairmont’s Varsity Softball team has hit the ground running, and the girls and their coach have high hopes for their accomplishments in the 2012 season. With their current record of 4-3, the softball players are excited about the start of their season and hope to capture the GWOC Central title for the third year in a row.

At the end of last season, the team sent nine seniors to college to begin the next chapter of their lives, so with a new starting line-up, the girls say they’re anxious to see how this season will play out.

Coach Rick Armstrong notes the team has little varsity playing time under their belts, but he believes this won’t be a problem. “This is the most coachable and hard-working team that I have come along in my 22 years as head coach at Fairmont High School,” said Armstrong, adding that individual determination will be a driving factor this year.

Senior captain and outfield commander Jenny Sharpe certainly seems determined. “My personal goal this season is to merit being named to the First Team of GWOC, as well as watch my teammates progress and get better over the course of the season,” she said. Sharpe has already signed to play softball for Indiana Wesleyan University next year.

The Lady Firebirds so far have defeated Piqua, Fairborn and Xenia (twice), and they’ve lost to West Carrollton and Springfield (twice). Next up is a double-header at Milford on Saturday, April 7. For other games and rosters, visit the softball team at http://www.fcpsports.com/teamsitepro/fairmont_softball/index.php.

“This is a young flock that will not quit,” said Armstrong, who hopes to see his thoughts put into action throughout the next few weeks.