Girls’ Basketball team finishes 2nd in state; girls remain hungry

Girls' Basketball team finishes 2nd in state; girls remain hungry

Photo: Jessica Wuensch

Freshman Shea Morgan shoots over an Elks defender while junior Chelsea Welch watches.

By Jenny Sharpe, Sports Editor

The Lady Firebird Varsity Basketball team enjoyed another successful season that ended with a bittersweet second-place finish at the State Tournament on March 17, 2012. The team fell short to Twinsburg, two-time state champions, again this year.

In the championship game, junior Chelsea Welch led the team with 19 points, while sophomore Kathryn Westbeld had 15 points and sophomore Makayla Waterman scored 11 points. The game ended with a score of 57-51 at the Schottenstein Center in Columbus, Ohio. This is the team’s 2nd straight state runner-up finish to Twinsburg High School and overall runner-up finish for the Firebirds.

The Girls’ Varsity Basketball team finished their season with a record of 24-4. “It was a great season,” said Head Coach Tim Cogan. “The girls accomplished a lot of things.”

The girls were District Champions for the fourth consecutive year and Regional Champions for the third year in a row. They also finished 10-0 in the GWOC.

“Overall, it was a good season, and we are very excited about next year,” said Waterman. The girls have everyone returning to the team next year since there were no seniors on this year’s roster.

Obviously, this team feels that it has some unfinished business to take care of. “The girls are hungry to get back to State,” said Cogan.

Westbeld was name GWOC Athlete of the Year and the Dayton Daily News Player of the Year. Westbeld and Welch were named GWOC All-Conference players. Waterman was named to the Second Team All-Division, and junior Alona Skipper earned a Special Mention.

The girls’ banquet was filled with awards. They included: MVP: Chelsea Welch; Coaches Award: Kathryn Westbeld; Most Improved: sophomore Emma Havener; and Sportsmanship: freshman Shea Morgan. Sophomore Makayla Waterman took home the Melissa Fortener McLaughlin B Positive Spirit Award.