FHS swimmers and divers make waves in GWOC

Both the boys and girls finished 3rd at Sectionals in 2012.

By Emily Pacenta, Staff Writer

The Fairmont Swimming and Diving team had a very successful 2012 season.

The Boys’ Swim team finished 3rd at Sectionals and 3rd overall in the GWOC. Even though they didn’t have any swimmers qualify for State, sophomore Kristian Berning made it into the school record book in the 200 free when he swam a time of 1:51.74.

At the swim banquet on Feb. 28, the following boys’ swimming awards were announced: Most Valuable: junior Kevin Menke; Most Improved: junior Tad Staller; Sportsmanship: junior Kevin Whaley; and Coaches Award: senior Eli McKee. The boys’ diving awards were: Most Outstanding Diver: senior Jackson Kissel, and Spirit Award: junior Neal DeFluri. Senior Thomas Chuna was announced as the recipient of the Chase Hale Memorial Scholarship.

GWOC gave Honorable Mention awards to Josh Schnipke (100 fly); Menke (100 breast);Berning, Menke, senior Daniel Schnipke and freshman Ethan Hosford (200 medley relay); Menke (500 free); and Kissel (diving).

The girls’ season was just as successful, as the team finished 3rd at Sectionals and 4th overall in the GWOC. Senior swimmer Natalie Rohr went to State yet again and finished 6th in the 50 free and 5th in the 100 free.

At the awards banquet, the following awards were presented: Most Valuable: senior Natalie Rohr; Most Improved: senior Jaimi Jutras; Sportsmanship: junior Liz Mercer; and Coaches Award: senior Lexi Fannin. The girls’ diving awards were: Outstanding Diver: senior Kamryn Hyde, and Spirit: senior Ashley Voskuhl.

GWOC Honorable Mention awards went to junior Bethany Blumenstock (diving) and Fannin, junior Emmy Wydman, junior Samantha Schoenung and sophomore Bailey Kunst(200 medley relay).