Both Varsity Bowling teams wrap up excellent seasons

Photo: Rylee Smith

Sophomore Austin Mahaffey and junior Taylor Lyons practice in preparation for Sectional bowling competition.

By Benjamin Morgan, Staff Writer

Both the Boys’ and Girls’ Varsity Bowling teams had successful seasons, with the girls compiling a record of 16-6 and the boys finishing 20-2.  In addition, the girls made it to District competition and the boys went to State.

The Fairmont girls placed 3rd in the GWOC Central Division and 6th overall in the conference. Some highlights of the season were crushing Northmont and appearing in the District competition for the first time. The girls fell only 19 pins short of qualifying for State.

The top finishers for the Firebirds were freshman Jessica Wolfe, who scored 15th place with 656 pins, and junior Brooke Swallows, who scored 33rd place with 528 pins. In addition, Tracy Wolfe was named Coach of the Year in the Central Division.

The Fairmont Boys’ Varsity Bowling team finished with a 20-2 record, the best since the Ohio High School Athletic Association recognized bowling as a sport in 2000. One highlight of the season was when the team captured the 2012 GWOC Central Division Championship; they fell just short of winning the GWOC Overall championship.

In addition, the boys’ team qualified for the State contest, where they finished 9th out of 360 boys’ teams.  The top finishers for the Firebirds were senior Ryan Wolfe, who finished in 32nd place, and senior Ronnie Pohl, who finished in 35th place.

“I was very happy with both teams this year,” said Varsity Bowling Coach Rex Wolfe. “The girls are really starting to make waves. The boys have continuously been a powerhouse in the state of Ohio.”

Wolfe also talked deeply about the seniors on the team. “These seniors are special in that they have all been friends since they started youth leagues as elementary school kids,” he said. “I appreciate the opportunity to help shape their lives, and I have learned as much from them as I hope they have from me. I wish them all the best of luck in the coming years.”

In their four years, the Firebird boys have compiled the following:  74-9 regular season record; 2nd, 5th and 9th place finishes in State; District Championships; several individual 1st and 2nd Team All-Conference recognitions; as well as several All Ohio and Tournament Championship awards.

“I honestly think you can look for more of the same,” Coach Wolfe said. “The girls are getting better, and next year they will be an absolute force to be reckoned with. The Boys’ Varsity will continue to dominate the conference and the state.”

At the awards banquet on March 16, the following girls’ team awards were announced:  MVP: junior Molly Crouch; Most Improved: junior Dottie Deis; Sportsmanship: senior Jessica Mowen; and Coaches Award: freshman Jessica Wolfe. The team also earned area awards including: 2nd Team GWOC All Division: junior Brooke Swallows, Molly Crouch and Jessica Wolfe.

At the same banquet, the following boys’ team awards were announced:: MVP: senior Ryan Wolfe; Most Improved: junior Zach Foster; Sportsmanship: senior Matt Chandler; and Coaches Award: senior Zach Grubb. The teams area awards were: ALL GWOC Team: Zach Foster and Ryan Wolfe; 1st Team GWOC All Division: Zach Foster and Ryan Wolfe; GWOC Central Division Athlete of the Year: Zach Foster; and GWOC Special Mention: Matt Chandler.