Wolfe sets sights on State title, then college and the pros

Photo: Rylee Smith

Senior Ryan Wolfe plans to bowl for Wright State next year and he hopes to become a pro bowler.

By Makayla Waterman, Staff Writer

Bowling certainly runs in the Ryan Wolfe’s family would be an understatement. Both of Ryan’s parents have bowled their whole lives and both coach the Fairmont bowlers. In addition, his little sister Jessica, a freshman, bowls on the girls’ team. As a senior, this is Ryan’s last year to win a state title, and has no intentions of letting anyone stop him.

Do you expect to go far in the State tournament this year?

Yes; we always make it to the state tournament. We always do really good in the Sectionals and Districts, but as soon as we make it to Matchplay at State, we always mess up. But not this year, because we are hungry and we aren’t going to let anyone stop us from winning the State Championship.

How far did you go in the tournament last year? What was your score?

I finished 2nd in the state individually. I shot a 673 for three games. It was a rough shot that we were on.

Are you the only one who went to State last year?

No, my team went, too. We bowled really well, and we jumped from 8th place to 2nd place in qualifying. In Matchplay, we lost in the first round and finished 5th in the state as a team.

What’s your best score?

I’ve bowled 300 games and two 800 series. A 300 is the best score you can get, and 800 is a total of all three games in a series. A 900 is the best you can get in a series.

What have you done to become so good at this sport?

I’ve practiced so much to get good. I practice five to seven days a week. When I’m not practicing, I’m bowling for school or in a tournament somewhere.

What are your future plans for bowling? Do you plan to bowl in college?

I plan to bowl for Wright State University. I’ve known the coaches there for a few years, and they’ve been waiting on me to get out of  high school so I can bowl for them. After college, I’m going to go out on the pro tour and see how I do out there. Hopefully, you’ll see me on ESPN on Sundays soon. That’s been my dream since I was about 4 years old.

How long have you been bowling, and what made you choose this sport?

I’ve been bowling since I was 2 years old, so I’ve been bowling for 16 years. I didn’t really choose this sport; it chose me. When I started getting good, it all just came naturally to me. My mom was a collegiate All-American in bowling and she is the one who got me started in bowling. But not once in the 16 years of bowling has it ever gotten old or boring.

What are your likes/dislikes about bowling?

I love everything about this sport: the new bowling centers, the traveling, everything. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be doing it.

What’s it like bowling for your father?

Bowling for my father is pretty rough. Since he is my father, I’ve had to really prove myself over the past years because everyone doubted me at first. They thought I was only on varsity because of my dad. But in all honesty, my freshman year on varsity was my best year, depending on how this one ends. My freshman year was the year when I was doubted the most. But I proved myself when I shot a 300 at Districts and 298 at State. But other than people doubting me and my dad getting crap for putting me on Varsity, the only other bad thing is that at home, I have to listen to all the drama and everything that my dad has to say. Other than all of that, I love bowling for my dad. He has always coached me and hopefully he helps out coaching when I get into college. That would be awesome.

The Flyer asked Varsity Head Coach Rex Wolfe a couple of questions about Ryan:

What’s it like to coach your son?

I love coaching him. We have our moments, of course! We travel the country, in the off-season, to bowl many tournaments. We have a great relationship, not unlike a caddy to a golfer. He’s matured into a great student of the game.

Do disagreements during bowling ever carry over to home?

Well, a certain amount of “discussions” happen, of course. But we work hard to leave it on the lanes. He understands that I have two roles and so does he. I am Dad and his coach; he is Son and an athlete. He has the same ability to discuss anything he wants with me, but he gets no different treatment than any other player. The way I look at it, during the high school bowling season, we are a team. Everyone has the same name on their jersey. We are all family and our name is Fairmont Firebirds!