The Colts can’t lose this week … since they’re not playing

By Jared Bergstrom, Sports Editor

The NFL Week 10 didn’t offer a lot of shockers or surprises. There was a handful of upsets, but not too much to get frazzled over. It was no surprise that the Indianapolis Colts lost again, this time to division rival the Jacksonville Jaguars. With this 17-3 loss at home, I think it’s safe to say that the winless Colts have secured the first pick in the draft next year; then they’ll get the (Andrew) Luck that they truly need.

The Games of the Week

The first game of the week was the Arizona Cardinals at the Philadelphia Eagles. The Cardinals beat the Eagles 21-17. The Cardinals scored the go-ahead touchdown with 1:53 left in the game. The touchdown came from a 5-yard pass from John Skelton to Early Doucett. The Cardinals, now 3-6, take on division rival San Francisco 49ers (8-1), and the 3-6 Eagles also take on a division rival in the 6-3 New York Giants in primetime.

My second game of the week was the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals went into the game with the division lead and a 5-game winning streak. But the streak was snapped as the Bengals lost 24-17, and the Bengals also lost all-pro cornerback Leon Hall for the remainder of the season. The 6-3 Bengals take on division rivals the 6-3 Baltimore Ravens and the 7-3 Steelers take the week off as they head into their bye.

My third game of the week was the Chicago Bears beating the Detroit Lions. The Bears and the Lions were engaged in battle, but the Bears played more smash-mouth football. The score at halftime was 20-6 Chicago. Then to open up the third quarter, the Bears returned a pair of interceptions for touchdowns on the Lions’ first two possessions. The Bears went on to win the game 37-13. After starting 5-0, the Lions have dropped three of the last four games. But it looks easy for them to get back to their winning ways as they take on 2-7 Carolina Panthers at home this week. And the 6-3 Chicago Bears take on the 4-5 San Diego Chargers at Soldier Field.

My final game of the week was the upset by the Seattle Seahawks when they thrashed the Baltimore Ravens, 22-17. OK, it wasn’t really a thrashing because it was a 4-point game, but it was a thrashing when the score was 22-7. Then the Ravens added a field goal from Billy Cundiff and an 11-yard touchdown pass from Joe Flacco to Ed Dickson. The Seahawks, now 3-6, take on the 2-7 division rival St. Louis Rams, and the Ravens, now 6-3, take on the 6-3 Cincinnati Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium. If the Ravens win the game, they’ll be in first place in the division by a half-game over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Fantasy News

Some people have been stopping me in the halls and asking me some Fantasy Football questions. Some even suggest I put my thoughts in this column, so here are my thoughts about this week.

Start ‘em

Quarterbacks: Oakland Raiders Carson Palmer, Dallas Cowboys Tony Romo, San Francisco 49ers Alex Smith, New York Giants Eli Manning, Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers and New England Patriots Tom Brady.

Running Backs: Jacksonville Jaguars Maurice-Jones Drew, Minnesota Vikings Adrian Peterson, Tennessee Titans Chris Johnson, Atlanta Falcons Michael Turner, Dallas Cowboys Demarco Murray and Buffalo Bills Fred Jackson

Wide Receivers and Tight Ends: Green Bay Packers Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson, Carolina Panthers Steve Smith, Dallas Cowboys Jason Witten and Dez Bryant, Arizona Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald, Cincinnati Bengals A.J. Green and New England Patriots Wes Welker

• Defenses: Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Chicago Bears and New York Giants

Sit ’em

• Quarterbacks: Carolina Panthers Cam Newton, Arizona Cardinals John Skelton, Denver Broncos Tim Tebow, Washington Redskins Rex Grossman, Philadelphia Eagles Michael Vick and Tennessee Titans Matt Hasselbeck

Running Backs: Tampa Bay Buccaneers LeGarrette Blount, Philadelphia Eagles LeSean McCoy, Arizona Cardinals Beanie Wells, Cincinnati Bengals Cedric Benson and Bernard Scott, and Washington Redskins Rey Helu

• Wide Receivers and Tight Ends: Philadelphia Eagles Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson, Minnesota Vikings Vishante Shiancoe, Seattle Seahawks Sidney Rice, Atlanta Falcons Julio Jones, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Williams, Preston Parker and Arrelious Benn

• Defenses: Carolina Panthers, Philadelphia Eagles, Cincinnati Bengals and San Diego Chargers

Now my weekly picks. I went 9-7 last week, so now I’m 80-54 on the entire year. That’s a winning record of 0.675. My winning picks are in red.

New York Jets @ Denver Broncos

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Green Bay Packers

Carolina Panthers @ Detroit Lions

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Cleveland Browns

Oakland Raiders @ Minnesota Vikings

Buffalo Bills @ Miami Dolphins

Dallas Cowboys @ Washington Redskins

Cincinnati Bengals @ Baltimore Ravens

Arizona Cardinals @ San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks @ St. Louis Rams

Tennessee Titans @ Atlanta Falcons

San Diego Chargers @ Chicago Bears

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants

Kansas City Chiefs @ New England Patriots

Byes: Indianapolis Colts (no loss this week), New Orleans Saints, Pittsburgh Steelers and Houston Texans